John Nelson brings a wide range of telecommunications law, policy, and litigation experience to DWT's communications group. He currently splits his practice between helping clients overcome regulatory hurdles within the communications industry through compliance and policy-based solutions, and guiding clients through sophisticated and complex regulatory and legal disputes involving wireline, wireless, and broadband matters. John advises clients on matters involving and advocates before the FCC, state and federal courts, and state public utility commissions, with an emphasis on matters involving administrative policy and law.
John regularly counsels clients on the Telephone Consumer Protection Act (TCPA) and other federal and state robocalling laws. Engrained in the subject on a near-daily basis, he uses his deep knowledge and understanding of the TCPA to provide clients with proactive and practical advice on how to successfully and lawfully engage consumers and show governing and administrative officials the social and pro-consumer benefits of telephone and text message marketing.
In this role, John advises brands, marketers, platform providers, gateway providers, and traditional carriers on robocalling compliance and risk mitigation strategies. He also frequently defends companies against alleged TCPA violations and robocalling investigations initiated by the FCC, FTC, and state attorneys general.
Notice-and-Comment/ Rulemaking Proceedings
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2019
J.D., William & Mary School of Law, 2017, cum laude
- Senior Notes Editor, William & Mary Law Review
- Phi Delta Phi
B.A., Political Science, History, Allegheny College, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- President, Phi Delta Theta
Memberships & Affiliations
- Alumni Relations Chair, Phi Delta Theta Chapter Advisory Board, Allegheny College
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- Virginia Bar Association
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2020 (High Honors)
- Associate, Womble Bond Dickinson (US) LLP, Washington, D.C., 2019-2020
- Associate, Innovista Law PLLC, Richmond, Va., 2017-2018