National Chair, Media, Entertainment & Intellectual Property Practice
Allie Nicholson focuses her practice on trademark, copyright and other intellectual property issues for many of the country's leading media and entertainment companies. Recognized for her "high-level strategic nous [which] has been a boon for prominent rights holders," her trademark practice centers on global brand protection and enforcement, transactions and strategic planning. She handles the management and enforcement of many worldwide intellectual property portfolios, including providing general counsel on a full range of trademark, copyright, content review and advertising issues.
Allie consistently receives top industry rankings in the area of global brand management and trademark protection and enforcement. World Trademark Review notes her reputation as "A go-to for media clients and equipped with wide-ranging knowledge of the digital technology field" who is recognized by clients as "extremely efficient, strategic, and responsive," an "absolute pleasure to deal with," and for "her five-star bedside manner." She is well known for her particular expertise in global brand management: "She has a terrific understanding of trademark prosecution rules and practices in many different countries and uses her knowledge creatively to achieve protection goals. Her advice has great practical and commercial value."
Long interested in the intersection of media, entertainment and technology, Allie conceptualized and founded the industry-leading DOWNLOAD/NY and DOWNLOAD/LA digital conferences which annually attract hundreds of in-house counsel and business executives in New York and Los Angeles, and has overseen the significant expansion of the firm's media, entertainment, intellectual property, and privacy & security practices.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 1988
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1988
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1988
J.D., New York University School of Law, 1987
A.B., History and Fine Arts, Harvard College, 1984, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chair, Committee on Trademarks and Unfair Competition (2014-2017); Member (2001-2004; 1996-1999), Committee on Copyright and Literary Property (2005-2007), Committee on Entertainment Law (1999-2000) — Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- International Trademarks Association (INTA)
- Copyright Society of the United States
- Intellectual Property Section, American Bar Association
- Intellectual Property Section, New York State Bar Association
- Chair, Harvard Schools Committee of New York
- Listed as one of Crain's New York Business' "Notable Executives," 2021
- Named to the "World Trademark Review 1000" by World Trademark Review, 2012-present; Named a "WTR Global Leader," 2022
- Named to the Managing IP's "Top 250 Women in IP," 2013