Laura Sack helps employers of every size, in virtually every industry across the U.S., to create and implement employment-related practices that are legally compliant and that advance the client’s business objectives.
Drawing heavily on her own experience as in-house labor and employment counsel, Laura prides herself on delivering prompt advice to management that is practical and tailored to each client’s unique work environment and management ethos. Her advice is guided by her deep knowledge of relevant labor and employment laws, her unbridled curiosity about each employer’s unique work environment and culture, and her finely tuned instincts, which in turn draw upon her nearly 30 years of experience representing management in connection with workplace matters.
Laura represents employers in employment-related litigation in state and federal courts, at arbitration and before administrative agencies, and she designs and delivers workplace training programs on an array of topics, including anti-harassment training. She drafts and negotiates all manner of personnel-related agreements, including employment and consulting agreements, separation agreements, and settlement agreements. Laura also conducts sensitive investigations into complaints of alleged wrongdoing by senior executives and others, often at the behest of the client’s board of directors and/or general counsel.
Laura’s fierce dedication to her clients and to her craft have earned her accolades. For years, she has held an “AV Preeminent” Peer Ranking from Martindale-Hubbell. Clients recently reported to Chambers USA that Laura is "above and beyond in responsiveness and ability to talk through situations in a down-to-earth and understandable language," and that she is "incredibly smart, quick-witted, funny, and fearless." Laura was elected in 2018 as a Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, and she is a member of the American Employment Law Council, an invitation-only organization limited to the nation’s top labor and employment attorneys and in-house counsel.
Representative Litigation Experience
Admitted to Practice
New York, 1992
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 1993
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 1993
U.S. District Court Western District of New York, 2008
U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2000
U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit, 2006
J.D., Yale Law School, 1991
A.B., Brown University, 1988, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
Memberships & Affiliations
- Member, Board of Directors, The Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law (New York Chapter)
- Past Member, Sex and Law Committee of the New York City Bar Association
- Past Member, Editorial Advisory Board of Employment Law 360
- Volunteer Team Leader, NY Cares
- Named Fellow of the College of Labor and Employment Lawyers, 2018
- Selected to Best Lawyers list of "Women of Influence," 2017
- AV Preeminent Peer Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Named one of "America’s Leading Lawyers for Business," in Labor and Employment (New York) by Chambers USA, 2018-2019
- Selected to "New York Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters
- Selected to "Super Lawyers 2018 New York Metro Area Annual List of Top Women Attorneys," Thomson Reuters
- Included in “Employment Law – Management” and “Labor Law – Management,” Best Lawyers in America
- Shareholder, Chair of New York Labor and Employment Practice Group, Vedder Price, New York, N.Y., 2009-2014
- Partner, Kauff McClain & McGuire LLP, New York, N.Y., 1998-2009
- Senior Attorney, Human Resources Counsel, Witco Corporation, Greenwich, Connecticut, 1997-1998
- Attorney, Simpson Thacher & Bartlett LLP, New York, N.Y., 1992-1997
- Law Clerk, Honorable Raymond J. Pettine, U.S. District Court Judge, Rhode Island District, 1991-1992