Desktop Image: Schary, Alison
Mobile Image: Schary, Alison
I translate complex legal issues into practical, real-world advice.
Alison Schary helps her clients publish important work while minimizing legal risk, and she defends them against legal threats based on their content. She is an effective and strategic litigator who has defended clients in high-profile cases and matters of first impression.
Alison is especially interested in the intersection of traditional media law and new technologies. She serves as principal outside counsel to the Online News Association and has spoken about the use of drones and artificial intelligence in journalism. Alison's client base includes major technology companies as well as traditional and digital media organizations, filmmakers, reporters, nonprofits, and advocacy organizations.
Prepublication review and vetting
Counsel publishers, reporters, and content creators across all media formats and platforms to help them publish their work while mitigating legal risk. Advise on newsgathering issues, access to courts and public records, defamation, privacy, and fair use.
Media and First Amendment litigation
Defend clients against defamation, invasion of privacy, right of publicity, and related claims. Experienced litigator with trial experience and tech savvy who has represented clients in high-profile, bet-the-company lawsuits.
Copyright and trademark litigation
Represent clients both as plaintiffs and defendants in claims for copyright and trademark infringement and violation of the Lanham Act.
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2013
New York, 2009
U.S. Court of Appeals 2nd Circuit, 2013
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2011
U.S. District Court Southern District of New York, 2011
U.S. District Court District of Maryland, 2013
U.S. Supreme Court, 2014
U.S. Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit, 2014
U.S. District Court District of D.C., 2014
J.D., Harvard Law School, 2008
- Editor-in-Chief, International Law Journal
- Research Assistant, Citizen Media Law Project, Berkman Center for Internet & Society
M.Phil., Anglo-Irish Literature, Trinity College Dublin, 2005
- Rotary International Ambassadorial Scholar
B.A., English, Yale University, 2004, magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Copy Editor, Yale Daily News
Memberships & Affiliations
- ABA Forum on Communications Law, Training & Development Committee
- Pre-Publication Review Committee, Media Law Resource Center
- Media Law Committee, DC Bar
- Steering Committee for the Arts, Entertainment, Media and Sports, DC Bar
- Vice-Chair, D.C. Bar Arts, Entertainment, Media and Sports Section
- Selected to a list of "Ones to Watch" in Entertainment and Sports Law (Washington, D.C.), Best Lawyers, 2022
- Named a "D.C. Rising Star," National Law Journal, 2020
- One of three lawyers nationwide named a "2020 Rising Star" in Media & Entertainment Law, Law360, 2020
- National Press Photographers Association, Kenneth P. McLaughlin Award of Merit, 2014
- 2012 Community Service Society of New York, Pro Bono Award Recipient for pro bono pre-publication review on a series of investigative pieces for City Limits Magazine
- Named to "Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll" by the D.C. Court of Appeals and the D.C. Superior Court, 2012-2013
- Litigation Associate, Gibson Dunn & Crutcher LLP, New York, N.Y., 2008-2011
Your search returned no results. Please try another search or remove search criteria.