Working with Fortune 100 companies to sole proprietors, Devin Smith defends against a range of employment litigation including alleged discrimination, retaliation, wrongful termination, hostile work environment, failure to accommodate, and other claims. Devin has significant experience resolving wage and hour class actions in the healthcare, retail, restaurant, transportation, and other industries. Devin regularly protects his clients’ interests in noncompetition, nonsolicitation, and trade secret cases—whether through negotiated restrictions or injunctive relief.
As former in-house counsel at Microsoft, Devin advises clients on all aspects of the employer-employee relationship. Devin’s mix of litigation experience and in-house perspective allows him to provide practical guidance to various levels of HR and business leadership. In addition to his litigation and counseling practice, Devin conducts workplace investigations regarding allegations of hostile work environment, discrimination, retaliation, and other issues.
Class actions & employment litigation
Noncompetition & trade secrets
Counseling & investigations
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Washington School of Law
- Associate Editor-in-Chief, Pacific Rim Law & Policy Journal
M.S., Journalism, Columbia University Graduate School of Journalism
B.S., Communications, Cornell University, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board Member, KCSARC - King County Sexual Assault Resource Center, 2017-present
- Law Clerk, Washington State Supreme Court, Olympia, Wash.
- Summer Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine, Seattle
- Extern, Hon. John C. Coughenour, U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington, Seattle
- Reporter, New York Post, New York, N.Y.
- Pentagon Correspondent, Washington, D.C.