Linda Steinman has more than 30 years of litigation and counseling experience in First Amendment and intellectual property law. Many of her clients are media companies but she also represents nonprofits, tech companies, universities and government agencies seeking her expertise. She helps them grapple with the legal and business impact of a rapidly changing world, whether as a result of technology, politics or other forces.
Linda's areas of practice include defamation, privacy/publicity, copyright, trademark, newsgathering torts, reporter's privilege, prior restraint, public/private forum analysis, intellectual property rights acquisition and licensing, and other publishing law and First Amendment issues.
Linda has litigated scores of cases in state and federal courts, including leading copyright, First Amendment and defamation litigations. She also regularly performs pre-publication and pre-broadcast review. More broadly, she often works with clients to counsel them on their wide-ranging business challenges related to their content. Having worked in-house at Random House before joining DWT, Linda understands the legal issues that clients face from the inside out.
Defamation and copyright litigations
Working with newspaper and book publishing industries to protect their content
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Harvard Law School, 1986, magna cum laude
B.A., History, Yale University, 1983, summa cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Trustees, Princeton University Press
- Named as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in First Amendment Litigation (Nationwide) by Chambers USA, 2015-2018
- Selected as New York City's "Lawyer of The Year" in Copyright Law by Best Lawyers, 2023
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Copyright Law by Best Lawyers, 2017-present
- Selected to "New York Super Lawyers" in Media and Advertising, Thomson Reuters, 2007-2009, 2013-2022
- Vice President, Associate General Counsel and Director of Litigation, Random House Inc., 1996-2003