For more than 20 years, Aaron Stuckey has represented Pacific Northwest clients in a wide range of complex business and commercial real estate disputes. Over his career, Aaron has handled hundreds of lawsuits and arbitration matters to final resolution, whether through trial, arbitration hearing, dispositive motion or settlement.
Aaron listens carefully to his clients, seeks to fully understand their business objectives, and works with them to find and achieve cost-effective solutions. When litigation best serves a client’s interests, he is a skilled and effective litigator who vigorously advances his client’s position. Where a productive business resolution is sought, Aaron is known as a creative problem-solver who can engineer solutions to even highly complex and difficult disputes.
Aaron’s practice emphasizes complex commercial litigation, often involving shareholder disagreements, trade secrets and noncompetition agreements, various contract disputes, and insurance coverage. He frequently represents clients in disputes over commercial real estate transactions and commercial leases.
Aaron also serves as “relationship attorney” to a number of local and regional businesses, helping them manage risk and solve problems before they arise and serving as the initial point of contact when other DWT attorneys with particular expertise can be utilized to best address the client’s needs.
- Successfully represented national insurance broker in federal court lawsuit to enforce post-employment non-competition, non-solicitation and trade secrets restrictions against former employees. Prevailed on motion for temporary restraining order for immediate relief, and obtained preliminary injunction and final judgment enforcing restrictions. Has represented numerous other employers in state and federal lawsuits to enforce non-compete and other employment restrictions.
- Represented manufacturing and recycling company in a series of lawsuits and private dispute resolution proceedings against prior shareholders. Obtained over $2 million on claims for breach of contract and fraudulent transfers, including claims against former shareholder’s estate.
- Obtained summary judgment in state court for commercial property owner, dismissing entire complaint for specific performance for the sale of the property. In another matter, obtained an arbitration award for specific performance and damages for the buyer under an agreement for the purchase and sale of a retail shopping center.
- Successfully defended publicly traded company in shareholder derivative action for breach of fiduciary duty and corporate waste.
- One of two lead attorneys representing Portland water and sewer ratepayers in ongoing state court lawsuit against the City of Portland for misappropriation of dedicated water and sewer funds. To date, the court has ruled in favor of clients regarding numerous challenged expenditures involving millions of dollars of ratepayer monies.
- Successfully represented commercial landlords in lawsuits for damages for breach of lease agreements.
- Recovered multimillion-dollar settlement for client with environmentally contaminated property from primary and excess insurance companies. Successfully represented other business policyholders in claims for insurance under general liability, employment practices liability, and directors and officers insurance policies.
- Obtained summary judgment (and affirmation on appeal) for insurance company on coverage, defense and bad faith claims arising from construction defects. Successfully defended insurance companies in numerous cases by insureds seeking coverage for environmental liability.
- Obtained preliminary injunction against the Oregon Liquor Control Commission to prevent interference with the warehousing and distribution practices of large grocery chain client.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court District of Oregon
J.D., Lewis & Clark Law School, 1995
B.A., Political Science, Arizona State University, 1992, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Oregon State Bar (including the OSB sections on Litigation, Business Litigation, and Real Estate and Land Use)
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Elected member, OSB Board of Delegates, 2014-present
- Arbitrator, Multnomah County Circuit Court mandatory arbitration program, 2003-present
- MBA Court Liaison Committee, 2005-2008
- Aaron has lectured and presented to other attorneys on various litigation topics, and has been a contributing author to the MBA Journal
- Aaron has held several leadership positions within the firm, including his current position as Chair of the Portland DWT Hiring Committee
- Aaron is also active within his community, and currently serves on the board of the Irvington Community Association
- He was a basketball coach at Sunset High School from 1998-2008, and is a frequent guest speaker to high school law classes
- Won "Impact Case of the Year" Award, Benchmark Litigation, 2020