Jonathan P. Trotta
Jon Trotta focuses his practice on the natural gas and electric industries. He has significant experience appearing before the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) in policy, regulatory and litigated proceedings, and advises clients on matters involving gas pipeline certification, tariff and rate disputes, wholesale power market structures and operations, electric transmission cost allocation, generator interconnection, PURPA, and cybersecurity. He brings to bear his experience as a former Attorney-Advisor at FERC.
Jon's clients include natural gas pipeline shippers, renewable and other project developers, investor-owned and municipal utilities, and large natural gas and energy consumers.
Natural gas pipeline operations, certification & rates
Jon counsels gas pipeline shippers, including electric utilities and other large consumers of natural gas, on FERC rules and regulations germane to their relationship with interstate gas pipelines. He advises and represents shippers in contested pipeline certification and rate proceedings before FERC.
Renewable Natural Gas (RNG) and renewable energy development and transactions
Jon advises and works closely with developers of RNG projects, renewable resources (wind & solar), independent power producers, and electric utilities to draft and negotiate complex agreements with bespoke terms and conditions, including commodity offtake agreements, EEI master agreements, NAESB gas purchase contracts, power purchase agreements (PPAs), gas and electric interconnect agreements, gas storage agreements, asset management agreements, master supply and development agreements, and EPC contracts.
Jon was at the forefront of discussions leading to development of the National Institute of Standards and Technology's (NIST) Cybersecurity Framework, and has helped electric utilities nationwide understand and comply with the suite of mandatory cybersecurity reliability standards enforced by the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) and its regional entities.
*Denotes an attorney's experience prior to joining Davis Wright Tremaine
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2011
U.S. Court of Appeals D.C. Circuit, 2012
U.S. Court of Appeals 8th Circuit, 2019
J.D., Suffolk University Law School, 2007
B.A., Political Science, International Relations, Italian, Villanova University, 2004
Memberships & Affiliations
- Energy Bar Association
- Federal Communications Bar Association (The Tech Bar)
- International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Board Member, Suffolk University Law School Alumni Association of Metropolitan Washington, Inc., 2008-Present; President and Board Chairman, 2009-2013
- Gold Alumni Award for Graduate of the Last Decade, Suffolk University Law School, 2014
- Capital Pro Bono Honor Roll, D.C. Bar Association Pro Bono Program, 2014
- Leadership in Experiential Learning Award, Suffolk University Law School, 2012
- Partner, Stinson LLP, Washington, D.C., 2017-2022
- Associate, Stinson LLP, Washington, D.C., 2010-2016
- Attorney-Advisor, Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC), Washington, D.C., 2007-2010
- Law Clerk, Massachusetts Department of Telecommunications & Energy, Boston, 2006-2007
Your search returned no results. Please try another search or remove search criteria.