Kara K. Trowell focuses her practice on technology, privacy, and security matters, with a depth of knowledge in the fields of data privacy and cybersecurity. She counsels a variety of clients, including technology companies, communications companies, advertisers and publishers, educational institutions and affiliates, and political campaigns, on their data privacy and information governance obligations under state, federal, and foreign laws and regulations. In addition, Kara assists clients by drafting and negotiating contracts for her technology clients, including end-user license agreements, inbound and outbound licensing agreements, and distributor/reseller agreements.
Kara regularly teams with her clients' legal, technology, and information security professionals to ensure their compliance with applicable privacy laws and regulations at every step of the product or service lifecycle, from design and development to vendor contracts and marketing and advertising activities. She works with clients at all stages of development in a data privacy program, and has experience authoring privacy policies, drafting and negotiating data protection agreements, establishing data subject response protocols, devising incident response plans, and helping clients to understand how the latest developments in the data privacy and cybersecurity field may impact their entity.
Kara also has substantial experience in handling complex commercial litigation and internal corporate investigations, which allows her to identify and address potential gaps in clients' data privacy frameworks before a threat materializes.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2016
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2017
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2015
- Marden Moot Court Competition
- Black Law Student Association
- Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Fall 2014
B.A., Global Studies, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011
- College of Letters and Science Honors Graduate
- Library Prize for Undergraduate Research
Memberships & Affiliations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Public Relations Co-Chair, 2019, Treasurer of the Board of Directors, 2016-2019 – The Mitchell Education Foundation
- Associate Attorney, 2015-2019, Summer Associate, 2014 – Jenner & Block, New York, N.Y.
- Intern to General Counsel, Office of the Manhattan Borough President, Scott M. Stringer, New York, N.Y., 2013
- Federally Certified Non-Attorney Representative, Anderson & Associates, PLLC, Detroit, 2011-2012