Kara K. Trowell is a member of the firm's technology, communications, privacy, and security group where she helps clients navigate and comply with state, federal, and international privacy laws and regulations. She counsels clients on business-oriented strategies for compliance across a large spectrum of industries, including the technology, entertainment, advertising, retail and telecommunication sectors.
Kara regularly teams with her clients' legal, technology, HR, and information security professionals to address privacy issues; develop and strengthen privacy and information governance programs, practices, and procedures; and help them understand how the latest legal and regulatory developments may impact their business. She is experienced with drafting and revising privacy notices, terms of service, privacy impact assessments, data subject response protocols, and other data policies; conducting due diligence and advising on privacy aspects of mergers & acquisitions; and drafting and negotiating data transfer agreements and other commercial agreements involving data sharing. Additionally, Kara has worked with the complex reporting, privacy and data-security provisions of some of the most material co-branded credit card program agreements in the market.
Kara also maintains an active product counselling practice and provides support at every step of the product or program lifecycle, from design and development to marketing and advertising activities and incident response. This practice is enhanced by her interest and experience addressing the unique privacy and other regulatory considerations related to biometric data, facial recognition technology, artificial intelligence, and machine learning to deliver practical guidance that is aligned with her clients' goals.
Admitted to Practice
New York, 2016
U.S. District Court Eastern District of New York, 2017
J.D., New York University School of Law, 2015
- Marden Moot Court Competition
- Black Law Student Association
- Faculty of Law, University of Copenhagen, Denmark, Fall 2014
B.A., Global Studies, University of California, Los Angeles, 2011
- College of Letters and Science Honors Graduate
- Library Prize for Undergraduate Research
Memberships & Affiliations
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Public Relations Co-Chair, 2019, Treasurer of the Board of Directors, 2016-2019 – The Mitchell Education Foundation
- Associate Attorney, 2015-2019, Summer Associate, 2014 – Jenner & Block, New York, N.Y.
- Intern to General Counsel, Office of the Manhattan Borough President, Scott M. Stringer, New York, N.Y., 2013
- Federally Certified Non-Attorney Representative, Anderson & Associates, PLLC, Detroit, 2011-2012