Katharine Tylee Herz
Chair, Office DEI Committee (Bellevue)
Kate Tylee Herz focuses her practice on employment counseling, litigation, and defending employers in connection with charges filed with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), the Washington State Human Rights Commission (WHRC), and the Seattle Office for Civil Rights (SOCR).
Kate has significant experience representing clients in federal and state courts against allegations of discrimination, hostile work environment, sexual harassment, wage and commission disputes, wrongful termination, retaliation, and claims under the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Title VII, and Washington Law Against Discrimination (WLAD).
Kate also counsels employers on a wide range of matters, including issues related to disability and leave laws, accommodation issues, and other challenges associated with the employment relationship. She trains managers on how to prevent and deal effectively with sexual harassment and other discrimination complaints, and workplace policies. Kate also has extensive experience conducting workplace investigations.
Kate has represented large hospital systems, national corporations, nonprofits, and businesses in the technology, retail, and food services industries.
Admitted to Practice
U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
J.D., Gonzaga University School of Law, 2008, cum laude
- Managing Editor, Gonzaga Law Review, 2007-2008
- National Moot Court Team, 2007
- National Trial Team, 2006-2008
- Best Oralist Award, Gonzaga Linden Cup, 2007
- CALI Award, Legal Research and Writing III, 2006
B.A., Society & Justice, Sociology, University of Washington, 1999
- Dean's List, 1997-1999
- NCAA National Champion, 1997-1998
- UW Husky Hall of Fame Inductee, 2008
Memberships & Affiliations
- Program Committee Member, Girls on the Run, 2012-2014
- Board of Advisors, Gonzaga University School of Law, 2013-present
- State Liaison, King County Washington Women Lawyers, 2011-2015
- Kinship Care Solutions Project, King County Bar Association
- Neighborhood Clinic, King County Bar Association
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Davis Wright Tremaine Heart of Justice Award, 2017
- Selected to “Washington Rising Stars,” Thomson Reuters, 2013-2018