Dan Waggoner focuses on communications, media, and intellectual property issues under the Communications Act, intellectual property laws, and the First Amendment. Dan has a deep knowledge of the converging communications, media, entertainment, and technology industries and the legal and business issues facing them, as well as the legal issues related to the internet and World Wide Web.
For many years, Dan has represented Microsoft, Time Warner, T-Mobile, and Amazon, as well as many traditional and emerging producers and content providers for streaming and other distribution channels.
Dan's areas of focus include:
- Advising technology, media and communications companies on product and service rollouts and the regulatory issues for them.
- Working with companies throughout the wireless ecosystem on a range of strategic transactional and regulatory matters, including resale.
- Negotiating content, communications, logistics, and technology contracts, as well joint ventures and strategic transactions.
- Advising media, entertainment, and production companies and distributors on clearance and IP issues.
- Litigating and advising on specialized issues under the First Amendment, intellectual property laws and the Communications Act.
- Negotiating communications and data center infrastructure agreements for cloud providers and other companies.
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
J.D., Yale Law School, 1979
B.A., Tufts University, 1974, summa cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Advisory Board, Wireless Influencers Conferences, sponsored by Rutberg & Co.
- Past Chair, Forum on Communications Law, American Bar Association
- Co-chair, Pacific Northwest Chapter, Federal Communications Bar Association
- Chair, MLRC-NAB-NAA Media Law Conference
- Received the "H. Stewart Tremaine Award for Exemplary Teamwork," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2023
- Named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in First Amendment Law by Best Lawyers, 1991-present; Communications Law, 2007-present; named in Technology Law, 2023
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Seattle's "Lawyer of the Year" in Communications, 2012
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2003-2004, 2011-2015