Dan Waggoner focuses on communications, media, and intellectual property issues under the Communications Act, intellectual property laws and the First Amendment. He represents new and traditional programmers and content providers in advisory, transactional and specialized litigation matters, and provides transactional and regulatory support for a broad range of technology and communications companies, including platform and software companies, and online, and wireless providers. Dan has a deep knowledge of the converging communications, media, entertainment, and technology industries and the legal and business issues facing them.
Dan has represented Microsoft, Time Warner, T-Mobile, and Amazon.
Dan's areas of focus include:
- Advises technology, media and communications companies on product and service rollouts
- Works with companies throughout the wireless ecosystem on a range of strategic transactional and regulatory matters, including resale
- Negotiates content, communications, logistics, and technology contracts, as well joint ventures and strategic transactions
- Advises national, regional and local media, and production companies and distributors on clearance and IP issues
- Litigates specialized issues under the First Amendment, intellectual property laws and the Communications Act
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
J.D., Yale Law School, 1979
B.A., Tufts University, 1974, summa cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Advisory Board, Wireless Influencers Conferences, sponsored by Rutberg & Co.
- Past Chair, Forum on Communications Law, American Bar Association
- Co-chair, Pacific Northwest Chapter, Federal Communications Bar Association
- Chair, MLRC-NAB-NAA Media Law Conference
- Named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in First Amendment Law by Best Lawyers, 1991-2007; named in First Amendment Law and Communications Law, 2008-present
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Seattle's "Lawyer of the Year" in Communications, 2012
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," Thomson Reuters, 2003-2004, 2011-2015