Rebecca L. Williams, RN, JD, is a nationally recognized authority on HIPAA, health information privacy, and data breach response. As a registered nurse with hands-on experience in hospital and other healthcare environments, she brings a practical perspective to her practice.
From initial development of HIPAA compliance programs to one-off questions to government investigations, Becky works with HIPAA covered entities and business associates to safeguard health information while keeping their businesses running efficiently. She also works side-by-side with clients in developing new technologies, including artificial intelligence and machine learning, consistent with HIPAA compliance. Becky assists her clients in preparing for and responding to data breaches, with a goal of recovering as quickly as possible while complying with breach notification and other regulatory requirements.
Becky has represented healthcare providers; financial institutions and payment processors; cloud service providers; business associates; AI and technology developers; and health plans and plan sponsors.
Becky is a frequent national speaker, is an author of numerous publications, including a contributing author of the HIPAA Portability, Privacy & Security Manual, published by the Employee Benefits Institute of America (a Thomson Reuters imprint), and regularly is quoted in the media.
- Develops effective HIPAA compliance strategies and counsels healthcare provider and health plan clients, as well as healthcare vendors and TPAs, on addressing ongoing HIPAA issues
- Assists clients in responding to data breaches, including providing notification of such breaches and addressing mitigation efforts
- Represents hospitals and health systems in EHR provisioning, including providing physicians and hospitals with subsidized technology – often called EHR donations – to promote electronic data sharing in compliance with Anti-Kickback Statute, Stark Law, and tax-exemption requirements
- Performs covered entity and business associate analyses and develops structures for complying with HIPAA
- Provides guidance with respect to risk analyses and risk management
- Develops privacy, security, and breach notification policies and procedures and related documents, including notices of privacy practices and authorizations
- Drafts and negotiates business associate contracts from both a covered entity and business associate perspective
- Advises a variety of clients in addressing compliance issues, conducting internal investigations, and developing corrective action plans
- Creates innovative methods for alternative uses of health information, including quality reporting and promotion of research and public health
- Develops effective approaches in establishing and sharing information through personal health records and shared care plans
- Advises hospitals, health systems, and others in the healthcare industry in resolving Stark Law and Anti-Kickback Statute issues including those arising out of organizational structures, physician relationships, and vendor agreements
- Represents hospitals, health systems, and other healthcare providers in procuring software and technology to support their electronic health records
- Counsels numerous healthcare clients in general regulatory, transactional, and contract matters
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Loyola University Chicago School of Law, 1986
- Dean's List each semester
- Editor, Women's Law Reporter
B.S.N., Nursing, Duke University, 1981, magna cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Co-Chair, Sub-workgroup on Enforcement – Workgroup for Electronic Data Interchange (WEDI), Strategic National Implementation Project (SNIP)
- Chair, Sub-workgroup on Preemption, WEDI-SNIP
- Vice Chair, Health Information and Technology Practice Group, American Health Lawyers Association, 2004-2010
- Legal Aspects of Health Information Exchange Task Force, Health Information and Management Systems Society
- Secretary, Trustee; Executive Committee Member – Villa Academy
- Trustee, 2001-2009; Executive Committee Member, 2006 – American Lung Association of the Northwest
- Washington State Society of Healthcare Attorneys
- American Bar Association
- Named as one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Health Care Law by Best Lawyers, 2005-present
- Named a "Best Lawyer in Seattle" by Seattle Metropolitan magazine
- Listed in "Who’s Who in America," "Who’s Who Among Women" and "Who’s Who in Law"
- Worked as an attorney for several major national law firms focusing on health law
- Worked as a registered nurse at Children's Memorial Hospital, Chicago; at St. Jude's Hospital, Vieux Fort, St. Lucia; and in home health and physician practice settings