NOV. 30, 2020 – With a record of high-stakes wins for clients across digital media, music, gaming, advertising, book publishing, cable TV, and more, Davis Wright Tremaine has been named a national "Practice Group of the Year" in Media and Entertainment by Law360 for the fifth consecutive year.
Davis Wright Tremaine's media and entertainment group is one of the largest in the nation and is widely recognized as an industry leader. The group's client roster includes the country's most admired traditional media organizations as well as the world's leading tech companies and other innovative players in the worlds of digital media, esports, marketing, and more.
The team's client successes this past year include:
- Securing a game-changing music copyright decision from the 9th Circuit on behalf of Led Zeppelin in a challenge to the band's iconic track, "Stairway to Heaven."
- Defeating an effort by the Trump family to stop publication of "Too Much and Never Enough," a memoir by President Trump's niece published by our client Simon & Schuster, which went on to become the year's biggest-selling book.
- Winning dismissal, with prejudice, of a copyright infringement suit filed against Apple and executive producer M. Night Shyamalan, arising from the Apple TV+ psychological thriller "Servant."
- Successfully defending the hit Showtime series "Billions" from a libel-in-fiction claim.
- Representing the Association of National Advertisers at the U.S. Court of Appeals in a successful challenge to new federal regulations.
- Successfully defending Microsoft in a right-of-publicity challenge to the company's iconic Xbox franchise, "Gears of War."
Davis Wright Tremaine's First Amendment litigation team is the only one in the country ranked in Band 1 (the top ranking) by Chambers USA in all three of the major media and entertainment industry centers—L.A., New York, and Washington, D.C.
Other recent recognition for the group includes the following:
- The firm was named 2021 "Law Firm of the Year" in Advertising Law and First Amendment Litigation by Best Law Firms and U.S. News.
- Peter Anderson, a partner in Los Angeles, was named a Law360 "MVP of the Year."
- Ambika Kumar Doran, a partner in Seattle, and Dan Laidman, counsel in Los Angeles, were named to the National Law Journal's inaugural list of "Trailblazers" in First Amendment law.
- Alison Schary, counsel in Washington, D.C., was named a "Rising Star" by Law360 and a D.C. "Rising Star" by the National Law Journal.
About Davis Wright Tremaine
Davis Wright Tremaine LLP is a national, full-service law firm with more than 550 lawyers. For more information, visit www.dwt.com.