The Privacy Oracle consolidates significant US legislative and regulatory developments at the state and federal level into a single publication. In this month’s issue, we offer:
- How law enforcement electronic data requests are going global under the CLOUD Act and the new U.S.-U.K. Executive Agreement.
- How the continued expansion of end-to-end encryption in consumer messaging apps has renewed calls for backdoors, potentially undermining consumer privacy.
- Highlights of the Attorney General’s draft regulations concerning the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA), as issued on October 10.
- Despite recent CCPA amendments, de-identification isn’t likely to help mitigate CCPA obligations.
- A review of the class action lawsuit against Vimeo for allegedly collecting, using, and retaining biometric information from users of its Magisto app without disclosing its data collection practices and obtaining written consent.