This webinar, led by Joseph P. Hoag and Jennifer Berry, answered frequently asked questions related to new laws that limit private employers' ability to rely on criminal background checks when screening applicants, including Seattle's new "ban the box" ordinance.
- When is it safe for an employer to inquire about an applicant's criminal background?
- When is it appropriate for an employer to take adverse action against a current or prospective employee because of an applicant's criminal conduct?
- Are there exceptions to the new rules?
- What kind of risks and liabilities do these rules impose on employers, directly and indirectly?
- How does Seattle's new ordinance interact with state and federal regulation of criminal background checks?