This seminar discussed current developments in health care regulation and compliance for hospitals.
This year's topics included:
Health Care Litigation Trends and Developments
- Litigation under the Affordable Care Act—the new world of health care litigation
- Developments in privacy/data breach litigation—the growing exposure
- Reimbursement-related litigation
New Developments in Hospital-Physician Transactions
- Physician compensation in the era of health reform: developing legally compliant ways to incentivize quality and value
- Fair Market Value (FMV) and hospital transactions update: what's new?
- Compliance and valuation implications of "stacked arrangements;" pitfalls to avoid
- Legal issues in recruiting and retaining "superstar" physicians
- Lessons learned from Toumey and Halifax
Top Ten Hospital Health Care Billing and Payment Issues for 2014
- The two-midnight rule for inpatient admissions
- Compliance landmines introduced by innovative payment models (ACOs, bundled payments, etc.)
- Compliance challenges caused by ICD-10 implementation
- Hot topics from the OIG Work Plan, MPFS, OPPS, and IPPS Updates
AM Peer Review Is a Compliance Issue
Terri Keville and Abbie Maliniak
- Medicare CoPs, TJC standards, and Title 22 requirements
- Governing body's ultimate responsibility for care provided—and not billing for medically unnecessary services
- Need to coordinate peer review and compliance processes
- Ongoing enforcement activity; substantial payments by several hospitals
AM Protecting Tax Exempt Status under Section 501(c)(3)
LaVerne Woods and David Lawson
- IRS "stealth" audits: is your hospital undergoing one without knowing it?
- Fact and fiction of community health needs assessments (CHNAs)
- New guidance on reporting and penalties for violations of Section 501(r) requirements
- Financial assistance and emergency care policies
- Billing practices and "extraordinary collection activities"
- Lessons learned from the IRS compliance report on colleges and universities
The Rise of the Whistleblower: the Newest Headache in Health Care Compliance
Jeff Coopersmith and Dennis Diaz
- How has hospital exposure to whistleblowers increased?—recent rulings under the False Claims Act
- How to maximize your hospital's chances of avoiding a whistleblower/Qui Tam action
- How do you defend a whistleblower/Qui Tam case if one is filed?
- What if the government intervenes in the case?
- The anatomy of a real life hospital whistleblower/Qui Tam case
Emerging Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Compliance and Operational Issues
Presented by Bob Homchick
- Combining Commercial ACO and MSSP ACO operations
- Record keeping, governance and audits
- Liabilities arising out of network organizations
- Liabilities arising out of ACO providers' treatment decisions
HIPAA: Responding to Changes in Technology and Enforcement
Presented by Becky Williams and Adam Greene
- Updates on HIPAA developments
- Recent health information privacy enforcement, including settlements and the audit program
- Management of patient portals
- Increasing challenges of mobile devices
Hospital and Health Care Mergers & Acquisitions: What Does a Compliance Officer Need to Know?
Presented by Bob Schuchard
- How does a hospital deal come together?—the anatomy of a deal
- Update of the Attorney General's oversight and regulation of nonprofit deals
- How compliance issues impact—or derail—health care deals
- The emerging and important role for the compliance officer in a health care deal