"Nonprofits in the Digital Age," Davis Wright Tremaine Seminar, San Francisco
This complimentary seminar focused on the critical legal issues facing nonprofits as they increasingly engage supporters, raise funds, and create change online and through digital technology. This seminar included three discussions featuring nonprofit, legal, and technology industry insiders.
Jean Tom, Partner, DWT
Dealing with Disruption - It Affects Nonprofits, Too!
Kraig Baker, Partner, DWT
Crowdfunding, Online Payments, and Charitable Fundraising
- "Nuts and bolts" of crowdfunding for nonprofits
- A case study in peer-to-peer online fundraising
- State-by-state charitable solicitation and cause marketing compliance, and the Charleston Principles
- Best practices for online charitable fundraising
Presented by: Tom Schroeder, Senior Counsel, University of California; David Lawson and Dsu-Wei Yuen, Associates, DWT
Moderated by: Jean Tom, Partner, DWT
View 10 Tips and Considerations for Launching a Crowdfunding Campaign.
Oh, the Information You’ll Collect, and How to Protect! A Privacy and Cybersecurity Primer for Nonprofits
- What is the difference between privacy, information security, and cybersecurity?
- What information are you collecting, who should have vs who wants access?
- Data security breach 101 – how to respond
Presented by: Sean Hoar, Partner, DWT; Anna Watterson, Associate, DWT
You Posted What?! – Social Media and Nonprofits: Pitfalls and Possibilities
- The rules and regulations governing social media – what does/doesn’t apply to nonprofits
- Issues concerning your online content: Copyright and Trademark, Infringement, Defamation, and Right of Publicity
- Compliance when using social media for charitable solicitations and advocacy
- How to design a good social media policy
Presented by: Nishka Chandrasoma, Deputy General Counsel, Ford Foundation; Kraig Baker, Partner, DWT