"Transgender Issues in the Workplace: Navigating a Rapidly Changing Landscape," Davis Wright Tremaine, Webinar
The EEOC has made gender identity discrimination a priority issue. With more employees reporting that the “male” and “female” designations they were assigned at birth do not align with their gender identities, transgender issues in the workplace should be a priority for employers as well. It is critical that HR and in-house legal departments are up to date on best practices in this area so that they can have productive and sensitive conversations that do not put the company at risk.
This webinar provided practical advice for complying with new federal regulations and state and local rules that address employee restroom use, pronoun and name changes, dress codes and uniforms, privacy, and related topics. At least half of the webinar was devoted to a Q&A discussion. Take-aways from the webinar will included:
- When and what you should ask a transgender employee – and what is off limits
- Required accommodations with regard to sex-segregated facilities
- Communications to supervisors and co-workers who work with an employee undergoing a gender transition
- How to manage employees who are uncomfortable with a transgender co-worker
- Review of recent EEOC decisions, case law and regulations
Jenna Mooney, Partner, Davis Wright Tremaine
Paul Southwick, Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine
Sarah Ames, Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine
Application for continuing legal education accreditation for this course (program) is currently pending.