Speaker, "Hot Topics in Communications Law: Section 230 and Commercial Speech," Communications Law in the Digital Age 2020, PLI webinar
DWT partner Bruce Johnson was one of several industry experts who joined this program segment to discuss the many factors and changes in public policy, the business environment, and consumer needs that are impacting various aspects of Section 230 of the of the United States Communications Decency Act.
Topics of discussion included:
- Section 230 under fire: What changes have been proposed?
- How might the 2020 election affect the Section 230 debates?
- Does government violate the First Amendment if it prefers debt-collection robocall speech over political robocall speech?
- Is “the impenetrability of hospital bills” protected by the Central Hudson rule?
- Should YouTube’s “braggadocio about its commitment to free speech” result in Lanham Act liability to a right-wing website because YouTube does content moderation?
- Can California expand commercial speech principles to require IMDb and similar websites to remove actors' accurate age-related information?