"Wage & Hours Traps 101: A Guide for Employers with California-Based Employees," Davis Wright Tremaine Webinar
California's wage and hour laws are much more extensive than federal wage and hour laws and are often confusing. During this webinar, we address questions that are particularly relevant for employers who are new to the California market or who have California-based employees but aren't as familiar with California wage and hour laws.
Our presentation covers a number of important wage and hour questions including:
- What are some of the unique wage and hours issues specific to California?
- The lifecycle of a wage/hour claim in California: The role of the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE), Labor Commissioner, Industry Wage Orders, California Labor Code, and California judicial system in regard to state enforcement of local and state wage/hour laws
- What is the Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA), and why do you need to know about it?
- Is it possible to lawfully classify someone as an independent contractor/consultant in California?
- When can you classify an employee as an exempt employee?
- What are some of the remote work issues concerning non-exempt employees?
- What qualifies as compensable time under California law?
- What are some best practices for mitigating risk in this highly regulated area?
(On-demand versions are not eligible for CLE credit.)