Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 57
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Food and beverage executives are preparing for the next pandemic. A recent study by AIB International states that a majority of food and beverage executives reported that they were not prepared to handle the COVID-19 pandemic, and 45% reported that they do not feel prepared for a pandemic in the future.
- Meal kit brands, such as HelloFresh and Blue Apron, have reported strong sales in the first quarter of 2021.
- The healthy snacks category continues to attract interest from buyers and investors. Laird Superfood announced the acquisition of Picky Bars, LLC, an innovative healthy snack company, for $12 million.
- Large food and beverage companies have reported increases in input costs—from packaging materials like aluminum to transportation and manufacturing costs—as a result of rising inflation. This will likely lead to price increases in food and beverage products across all categories this year.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured corporate venture and private equity fund is Venturing & Emerging Brands (VEB).
- Founded in 2007, Venturing & Emerging Brands is the corporate venture capital arm of Coca-Cola. Based in Atlanta, GA, VEB's mission is to identify and nurture a portfolio of food and beverage brands with a billion dollar potential.
- Portfolio companies include:
- Honest Tea
- Topo Chico
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Hwy Haul Raises $10 Million Series A for Produce Logistics Marketplace
- Tattooed Chef to Acquire Mexican Food Maker for $35 Million
- This Female-Led FoodTech Company Is Disrupting Nutrition Solutions for Babies And Children
- Better-For-You Energy Drink Raises $13 Million
- Foodetective Raises $2 Million in Seed Funding for Its Restaurant Software Integration Tech
- Should Food Tech Cos Fuel Bitcoin Adoption?
- DSM Teams Up With Debut Biotech on Next Generation 'Cell-Free' Biomanufacturing
- New Study Finds 30% of Food and Beverage Executives Expect Another Global Pandemic in the Next Four Years
- Meal Kits: HelloFresh Attracts 1 Million New U.S. Customers In Q1; Blue Apron Attracts A More Modest 15,000, Sees Path to Profitability
- Laird Superfood to Acquire Picky Bars, LLC, Expanding Position in Attractive Healthy Snacks Category
- As Inflation Rages, Food and Beverage Manufacturers Pass Higher Costs on to Consumers
Food Funded 2021 JEDI
Wednesday, May 12, 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. PT
There's more urgency and opportunity for racial equity out there, and past Food Investor Fairs have catalyzed investments for BIPOC food entrepreneurs. Slow Money and J.E.D.I. Collaborative invite you to join them for:
- Entrepreneur Lab: Changemakers and experienced practitioners speaking the truth about breakthrough.
- Food Investor Showcase:
- Bay Area Food Investor Fair: Forum for investors to meet BIPOC food entrepreneurs and see pre-screened investment opportunities.
- Virtual Tastings with Real Food and Small Group Exchanges: Engage your palate. Attendees will receive a Smorgasbox with samples from presenting food makers (while supplies last). Talk with the entrepreneurs about their food and their business.
Naturally Bay Area's 2021 Quick Bites Series
Discovery Box Program
Deadline to Apply: Friday, May 14
Naturally Bay Area members are invited to apply to the Discovery Box program — a curated assortment of products sent to local tastemakers, highlighting exciting up-and-coming Bay Area brands.
More information here
Expo West Virtual - J.E.D.I. Collaborative
Wednesday, May 26, 9:00 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. PT
J.E.D.I. Collaborative will have programming at Natural Products Expo West Virtual on May 26th, 2021. The sessions will include a keynote by Van Jones and an unveiling of the next phase of J.E.D.I. Collaborative.
Don't forget to register! Natural Products Expo Virtual is FREE to qualified industry members. Your registration will give you access to all of the virtual events for 2021. You can see the full list of programs here.
CIA's Menus of Change Leadership Summit
June 22 - 24, 2021
Jeffrey Sachs, PhD, professor and director of the Center for Sustainable Development at Columbia University, will be joining the Menus of Change® Leadership Summit: Virtual Edition, June 22–24, to provide his insights on how building sustainability into your business benefits your guests, the planet, and most importantly, your bottom line. Twice named one of Time Magazine's most influential world leaders, ranked by readers of The Economist as one of the top three most influential living economists, and recipient of the 2015 Blue Planet Prize.
Please check out DWT's newly re-launched Startup Law Blog
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food & Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
Please contact our Food and Beverage team if we can assist you in any way in these unprecedented times.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.