Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 64
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Global foodtech experts predict that the foodtech industry will continue to expand and grow significantly through 2030 due to lower barriers to entry and the impact of technology on food delivery, food production, and supply chain.
- A recent report by Coresight Research predicts that ecommerce sales for food and beverage products will increase by 11% this year while US grocery sales will decrease by 2.8%.
- Nestlé USA announced that it plans to invest $100 million in its frozen foods operations as a result of recent trends in consumer preferences for frozen food products.
- Danone Manifesto Ventures, Danone's Venture fund, announced that is acquired a controlling stake in Harmless Harvest coconut water brand due to the company's rapid growth and Danone's strong partnership with the brand.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured corporate venture and private equity fund is Nutrition Capital Network.
- Nutrition Capital Network (NCN) is a New York based organization that connects investors with high-potential growth companies.
- NCN brings together active investors with curated health, wellness, and ingredient companies that are looking for capital, partnerships, or acquisitions. It hosts five Investor Meetings each year, where selected companies give live presentations about their businesses to a group of active industry investors and mentors. 50% of NCN Presenters have secured an investment of some kind following their experience at one of NCN's events.
- Example investors include:
- Abbott Nutrition
- Abrams & Company
- Ajinomoto Group
- The NCN Screening Committee uses the following criteria to evaluate potential Presenting Companies from the nutrition, health & wellness, natural and organic product, and green product industries:
- Novelty and Unique Position
- Economic Potential
- The Management Team
- Tangibles: Good branding and brand name, good quality & taste, unique packaging or presentation
- Intangibles: The "WOW" factor; head turning potential
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- FinTech Success in Latin America Opens Doors for U.S. Venture Funds
- Layn Invests $148 Million to Expand Sweeteners and Botanicals
- Botrista Raises $10 Million Series A for Its DrinkBot Automated Drink Dispense
- More Than $10 Billion Invested in Grocery Startups This Year
- Local Kitchens Raises $25 Million for Its Virtual Food Hall Network
- Brief: Eat Just Targeting IPO at Valuation of 'At Least $3 Billion,' Says Investor
- Brazil's Future Farm Launches Its U.S. Expansion With the Mission to Democratize Plant-Based Meat
- The Pandemic-Spurred Growth of Food Tech
- Meal Kit Sales Will Sharply Decelerate This Year, Report Predicts
- U.S. Meal-Kit Market: Pandemic-Induced Shifts in Consumption Patterns To Drive Future Growth
- Nestlé USA Expanding Operations in Cherokee County
- Danone Manifesto Ventures Takes Controlling Stake in Harmless Harvest: 'We Want to Preserve the Unique DNA of the Company'
EVENTS AND OPPORTUNITIES
Project W – Emerging Food Brands Lab
June 10 – July 29, 2021
DWT is excited to announce that Project W is bringing its signature programming to female founders in the food and beverage sector through our first Emerging Food Brands Lab. Developed in collaboration with DWT's Food + Beverage practice, this multi-week program has been crafted to help female founders take their brand to the next level through workshops dedicated to scaling production, optimizing distribution networks, and raising capital.
Barilla Seeks Participants for Accelerator Program
Barilla's venture unit Blu1877 and San Francisco-based incubator KitchenTown are seeking startups to take part in their Good Food Makers global accelerator program. The program will be focused around four challenges related to meal routines, the circular economy, nutrition guides, and food delivery.
Please check out DWT's newly re-launched Startup Law Blog
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food & Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
Please contact our Food and Beverage team if we can assist you in any way in these unprecedented times.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.