Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 83
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- PitchBook reported that foodtech companies raised $10.1 billion in venture capital funding in 2021 as the sector continues to attract VC investment.
- Impossible Foods announced that it raised $500 million in its recent fundraising round. The plant-based meat company has now raised approximately $2 billion to date.
- New Culture—an animal-free dairy startup—announced that it raised $25 million in its Series A round. The company plans to launch its animal-free mozzarella in 2022.
- A public joint statement by various North American produce associations stressed that supply chain factors, including rising shipping costs, shipping port congestion, and labor shortages, are causing production and delivery issues for the fruit and vegetable sectors. Government intervention was requested to tackle these issues.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured program is Five Seasons Venture.
- Five Seasons Ventures is a Paris-based venture capital firm formed in 2016 which backs Food and Food Tech entrepreneurs focused on solving the global challenges of the food industry.
- Five Seasons Ventures is the first European impact venture fund focused on the Food and Beverage space.
- Portfolio companies include:
- Butternut Box
- Tropic Biosciences
- YFood Labs
- Just Spices
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Chobani Files to Go Public Through Initial Public Offering as Its Yogurt Sales Rise
- Food Tech Company Amara Gobbles Up $12 Million for Its Nutrient-Dense Infant Products
- Local Bounti Aims to Prove It's Worth the Investment Despite Indoor Farming's Spotty Track Record
- Robotic Kitchen Nommi Partners With Sam Nazarian and His Leading Global Food Tech Platform C3
- Sanderson and Wayne Farms Merger 'An Opportunity That Doesn't Come Along Very Often,' CEO Says
- Nestle-Backed Vegan Wing Startup Raises $4 Million
- Eat Beyond Signs Letter of Intent to Acquire Banana Wave
- Fast Foodtech: Dealmaking Speeds Along as Sustainability, Digitization Drive VC Interest
- Impossible Foods Closes $500 Million in New Funding Amid Record Growth
- New Culture Raises $25 Million as 'Animal-Free Dairy' Space Heats Up
- Joint Statement From North America's Fresh Produce Industry on Supply Chain Disruptions
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally Bay Area's 2021 Quick Bites Series:
The Hottest Trends in CPG Retail Marketing - Online-to-Offline Marketing
Wednesday, December 1, 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
Hear from Social Nature and learn about O2O marketing—the full commerce cycle that builds targeted online consumer demand, converts it to in-store traffic and sales, then brings consumers back online to get feedback and build loyalty.
Naturally Bay Area 2021 Holiday Mixer
Thursday, December 9, 4:00 - 5:00 p.m. PST
Let's raise a glass and spend some quality time with the community—meeting, mingling, and spreading holiday cheer.
Naturally Boulder Programming Event: I Swam with the Sharks... and Survived!
Tuesday, December 14, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m. PST
What is it like to swim in the Shark Tank? Join us to hear from Naturally Boulder members who have appeared on the hit TV show and lived to tell about it!
Dwight Funding's Founder to Founder Q&A Series:
A Conversation on Branding With David Lester, OLIPOP
Wednesday, December 1, 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
Co-Founder David Lester at OLIPOP and his team have successfully used marketing & product education to build and maintain their loyal customer base since the brand's inception in 2017. Today, OLIPOP is responsible for 85% of sales in the functional soda sector. Dwight Funding spoke with David Lester in its Founder to Founder Q&A Series (see link below).
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.