Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 100
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Upside Foods, a cell-based meat company, announced that it raised $400 million in its Series C round. This financing is the largest round for a startup in the cell-based meat sector.
- A SHOC energy, an energy drink company that partners with Keurig Dr. Pepper for distribution, raised $29 million in its Series B financing round.
- Planetary, a foodtech company based in Switzerland, raised $8 million in its seed round. The company plans to use the funds to build a large production facility to assist other fermentation companies to create and scale their alternative protein technologies.
- Chipotle announced that it has launched a new $50 million venture fund that will target early-stage foodtech startups.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured program is Five Seasons Ventures.
- Five Seasons Ventures is a Paris-based venture capital firm founded in 2016. This VC firm backs Food and Tech entrepreneurs committed to a healthier, more sustainable, and more efficient food system.
- Five Seasons Ventures is the first European impact venture fund focused in the Food and Beverage sector. They invest in product and process innovation aimed at solving the global challenges of the food industry.
- Some of their portfolio companies include:
- Butternut Box
- Tropic Biosciences
- Yfood Labs
- Just Spices
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Simply Better Brands to Merge With Jones Soda
- Two Investment Veterans Launch Food and Bev-Focused Jove Island Capital
- Navigating Rising Inflation and Interest Rates With Agricultural Investments
- NIFA Invests Nearly $18 Million for Small Business-Led Innovations
- Corporations Are (Finally) Starting to Invest in Resilient Food Supply Chains
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally Bay Area's 2022 Quick Bites Series:
Turning Innovation Into a Competitive Advantage
Wednesday, April 27 | 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
- Learn the importance of incorporating an Innovation mindset into your company
- Learn fundamentals of making innovation a core driver for success
- Understand how to balance the drive for continuous innovation with generating in-market results
- Hear about examples of innovation in the marketplace from industry practitioners
- Katie Hagan - Vice President of Innovation at Mattson
- Ryan Pintado-Vertner - Founder of Smoketown LLC
- Jim Taschetta - Head of Marketing & Operations at MISTA
- Shannon Toyos - CMO at Kite Hill
Save the Dates for Hirschberg Entrepreneurship Institute 2022
Virtual Boot Camp | May 9-11, 2022
Wednesday, March 16, 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
Join HEI online for three days of a highly interactive, intimate venue for networking, storytelling, and problem-solving.
- Day 1 is dedicated to Financing and Cash Flow
- Day 2 is dedicated to Telling your Brand Story and E-comm
- Day 3 is the popular Pitch Day for companies to pitch for capital with the esteemed panel of investors.
For details, visit www.hirshberginstitute.com.
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.