Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 98
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- MycoTechnology, an ingredients company that utilizes mushroom mycelia, raised $85 million in its Series E round. The company plans to use the funds to enhance its fermentation platform and expand globally.
- Anheuser-Busch announced that it will plan to invest $50 million in its St. Louis brewery. A portion of the funds will be used to create a new seltzer building.
- Recent data by SPINS, the Plant-Based Foods Association and the Good Food Institute, found that plant-based foods sales increased by 6% last year to reach $7.4 billion, and that plant-based milk sales now comprise 16% of the milk category.
- Leaders of the Future Food-Tech conference in San Francisco expect the foodtech sector to have a strong 2022 with respect to capital raising after it was reported that foodtech companies raised $12.8 billion in over 1,000 deals.
- The use of robotics and AI technology in the foodtech sector has increased significantly to create sustainable and healthier products and services, Forbes reports.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured program is Ankur Capital.
- Ankur Capital is an India-based early-stage venture capital fund that focuses on core challenges across sectors such as agritech, food, healthcare, financial, logistics, retail, and education, among others.
- The size of Ankur's investments range from $500K to $5 million.
- As an Ankur portfolio company, startups get access to their network of operational experts, who can help founders grow their businesses.
- Some of the portfolio companies include:
- Captain Fresh
- Karma Healthcare
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Koidra Raises $4.5 Million Funding to Bring Automation to Greenhouses
- Ynsect Expands to the U.S. With Mealworm Farm Addition
- Umaro's $3 Million AgFunder-Led Seed Round Hints at a Ocean-Based Future For Alternative Protein
- Leaf Agriculture Simplifies Farm Data Access for Agtech Enterprises
- After a Record 2021, Food Tech Investments Will Keep Coming, Conference Panel Says
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Apply for Whole Foods Local and Emerging Accelerator Program by April 8th
Whole Foods Market has announced a business accelerator to help promising local and emerging producers grow their companies. It is accepting applications to its inaugural cohort through April 8. The program includes a 10-week curriculum taught by Whole Foods Market experts, a yearlong mentorship with a Whole Foods Local Forager, and access to other growth-related supplier benefits. Companies who aspire to be on Whole Foods Market shelves can click here to apply.
Save the Dates for Hirschberg Entrepreneurship Institute 2022
Virtual Boot Camp | May 9-11, 2022
Wednesday, March 16, 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
Join HEI online for three days of a highly interactive, intimate venue for networking, storytelling, and problem-solving.
- Day 1 is dedicated to Financing and Cash Flow
- Day 2 is dedicated to Telling your Brand Story and E-comm
- Day 3 is the popular Pitch Day for companies to pitch for capital with the esteemed panel of investors.
For details, visit www.hirshberginstitute.com.
Naturally Network + Naturally Boulder + Naturally Chicago:
EARTHWEEK 2022: Building Resilience Through Community: Food waste, hunger, and climate impact
Thursday, April 14, 2022 | 12:30 - 1:45 p.m.
The pandemic made life hard for many entrepreneurs, but the hottest Good Food and Natural Products companies saw their growth curves continue to soar upwards. Four leaders will share the secrets of their companies' success.
For Other Events Hosted by Naturally Network Affiliates
Please See the Links Below
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.