Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 99
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- PitchBook recently indicated that indoor farming companies raised $489 million in venture capital deals in 2021.
- A recent report by EY found that IPOs shrunk by 72% in the first quarter of 2021. Several food and beverage companies that recently went public have experienced drops in their listing prices.
- Mars Wrigley announced that it has plans to invest $175 million in its chocolate plant in Kansas to expand production of popular chocolate candy products including Snickers and Milky Way.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured program is Barrel Ventures.
- Barrel Ventures is a venture capital firm headquartered in Chicago, Illinois.
- Barrel Ventures seeks to make seed and early-stage investments in growing businesses in the food, beverages, retail, logistics, food technology, e-commerce and retail sectors.
- Barrel Ventures' most recent investment was in the Partake Brewing (non-alcohol craft beer brand) offering, which raised $16.5 Million.
- Some of the portfolio companies include:
- Love Corn
- Pod Foods
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Treeswift Is Using Drones to Monitor Forests
- Season Health Raises $34 Million in Series A Funding
- Enzymit Raises $5 Million for Bio-Manufacturing Platform It Claims Can Replace Fermentation
- Food Tech Start-Up Umiami Secures $30 Million in Series A Round
- Leaft Foods Secures $15 Million in Funding
- Foodtech Unicorn Rebel Foods Acquires Majority Stake in Chocolate Brand SMOOR
- MyForest Foods Closes $15 Million Venture Loan for Whole Cut Mycelium Bacon
- Indoor Farming to Reach an Estimated $155.6 Billion by 2026: PitchBook
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Save the Dates for Hirschberg Entrepreneurship Institute 2022
Virtual Boot Camp | May 9-11, 2022
Wednesday, March 16, 12:00 - 12:45 p.m. PST
Join HEI online for three days of a highly interactive, intimate venue for networking, storytelling, and problem-solving.
- Day 1 is dedicated to Financing and Cash Flow
- Day 2 is dedicated to Telling your Brand Story and E-comm
- Day 3 is the popular Pitch Day for companies to pitch for capital with the esteemed panel of investors.
For details, visit www.hirshberginstitute.com.
April 12 - 22
Get ready for two weeks of exceptional programming for Naturally Network's Earth Week programming!
Affiliates from around the Naturally Network are coming together April 12 – 22 to cover big topics including food waste, actionable ways to reduce our carbon footprint, building sustainability into your businesses, regenerative agriculture, and sustainable packaging and eco-fashion.
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.