Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 109
In This Issue:
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Chinova Bioworks, a Canadian food startup that creates natural clean-label preservatives from upcycled white button mushroom stems, announced that it raised $6 million in its Series A round.
- Sapporo U.S.A., a producer of the most popular Asian beer brand in the U.S., announced that it will acquire Stone Brewing, a U.S. innovative craft beer brand, which is expected to close in August 2022.
- Goodr, a food waste management startup company based in Atlanta, announced that it closed a $8 million funding round.
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- With $60 Million in Funding, Raptor Ag Is Now the Largest Hazelnut Grower in North America
- Fresh Take: Lifeless Market for Meatless Meat, What Clif Bar's Founders Will Net And Kellogg's Spinoff Strategy
- Little Leaf Raises $300 Million to Fund Aggressive Cea Expansion
- Saltalk Turns Up the Heat on Its Virtual Kitchen Following New $8 Million Cash Infusion
- A New Bill Aims to Ban Mergers in Ag and Food Sectors
- A Former Banker Is Betting on Insect-Based Dog Biscuits as the Next Big Thing in Pet Food
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally Bay Area Quick Bites: Weathering the Gathering Storm: Survival Training for Emerging CPG Brands
Wednesday, June 29 | 12:00 -12:45 p.m. PT
This week Naturally Bay Area kicks off the first in a four-part series, "Weathering the Gathering Storm: Survival Training for Emerging CPG Brands," to address the immediate financial challenges faced by emerging CPG brands for the balance of this year.
- Cessna Mac, Principal, Amberstone Ventures
- David Davick, CFO, Transaction Advisory Practice Lead, Propeller Industries
- Robyn Rutledge, Founder and CEO, SBG Growth
- Don Buder, Partner at Davis Wright Tremaine LLP
Part One: Raising Capital, Wednesday, June 29, register now
Part Two: Managing Cash, Wednesday, July 20
Part Three: Borrowing Money, October 2022
Part Four: Getting Profitable, November 2022
Naturally New York: Stepping Up Taste in Plant Based
Wednesday, June 29 | 11:00 a.m.- 12:00 p.m. ET
It's widely believed people want plant-based products that taste like real meat and dairy. But Kerry's new research found that's not entirely true. Kerry’s global teams analyzed the traditional meat and dairy aspects consumers want in plant-based products, revealing actionable insights that can accelerate innovation.
Join the Kerry team to discover:
- Consumer benchmarks in plant-based meat and dairy
- Plant-based taste nuances in flavor, texture and cooking characteristics
- Opportunities for category innovation and market growth
- Key taste profiles for consumers in the U.S.
- Application Q&A with Kerry R&D
- Alison Rabschnuk, Business Development Director, Plant Protein of Kerry
- Hernan Angarita, Culinary Innovation & Applications Manager at Kerry
- Jenny Palan, Sr. Strategic Marketing Manager at Kerry
Naturally Chicago: Growing Your Relationship With KeHE
Wednesday, June 29 | 3:00 - 4:00 p.m. CDT
Join Naturally Chicago, the Naturally Network, and senior KeHE leadership to explore ways that companies can build their relationship with this Illinois based company. KeHE is one of the largest distributors in the Natural Products industry and delivers over 70,000 products to 30,000+ retail locations throughout North America.
The webinar will provide a KeHE introduction, describe how they choose brands to onboard (scorecard), detail on how they support new suppliers and their success and also invite attendees to upcoming TrendFinder events, where emerging brands, not part of their portfolio, can present to KeHE Category Managers. The webinar will also look at supplier programs KeHE elevate™, DIVERSEtrade™ and CAREtrade®.
- Gad Perdomo, Category Manager, KeHE
- Alvaro Reyes, Category Manager, KeHE
- Rachelle Radcliffe, Director, Brand Development, KeHE
- Jim Slama, Moderator, Managing Director, Naturally Chicago
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.