Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 115
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- A recent report by PitchBook found that VC funding in foodtech companies dropped by 21.5% in the second quarter of this year. Despite the decrease in VC deals, valuations and deal sizes continued to remain high for foodtech VC deals.
- A report by Kroll noted that food and beverage M&A deal volume has dropped compared to last year, with the pace starting to pick up in Q2.
- TreeHouse Foods, a multinational food processing company, announced that it will sell a large portion of its meal preparation business to Investindustrial for $950 million. The deal is expected to close in the fourth quarter of this year.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund is Chobani Incubator.
- Chobani Incubator, launched in 2016, is a program for companies taking on broken food systems to bring better food to more people. In addition to investment, Chobani Incubator gives startups access to its network and expertise in order to scale up their operations and achieve significant growth.
- Chobani Incubator looks for startups:
- that share the same vision of making delicious, nutritious, natural and accessible food to more people;
- that want to deliver better food to more people;
- that offer products accessible and affordable to all.
- Example portfolio companies include:
- Mason Dixie
- Seal the Seasons
- Partake Foods
- A Dozen Cousins
- Sherpa Foods
- Bread SRSLY'
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- California Agrifoodtech Investment Still Outpaces the Rest of U.S. by Billions
- PreciTaste Raises $24 Million Series A to Redefine Foodservice Operations With Vision AI Technology
- Novel Farms Raises $1.4 Million in Pre-Seed Round for First Marbled Cultivated Pork Loin
- Investindustrial Announces Acquisition of Parker Food Group
- Beyond Meat Is in a Bind
- Impact Food Secures $500K to Help Prevent Collapse of Wild Tuna Species
- Lavva Plant-Based Yogurt Acquired by Next in Natural, Names Jeff Lichtenstein as New CEO
- Food and Beverage M&A Landscape – Summer 2022
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally San Diego
Coffee & Convos (in person!)
TFriday, August 19 | 9:00-10:00 a.m. PT
Location: Pannikin Encinitas, 510 N Coast Hwy 101, Encinitas, CA 92024
Join San Diego natural products community members for an in-person meet up on Friday, August 19th at 9 a.m. This is your chance to meet, mingle and talk shop with one another while enjoying a free cup of coffee.
Coffee + Convos is always free for members, and $10 for non-members.
Founder Series: JR Simich from Vive Organics
Tuesday, August 23 | 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. PT
Join Naturally San Diego for an educational Founder Series chat, hearing and meeting JR Simich from Vive Organics!
Networking Collision Series at Rayback Collective
Wednesday, August 24 | 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. MT
Location: Rayback Collective, 2775 Valmont Road, Boulder, ColoradoThis the second in Naturally Boulder's Collision Series of Networking Events – a low-key, relaxed series of no-registration-required connection opportunities where you'll run into old friends and be introduced to new contacts.
Want a chance to meet more folks in the natural and organic products industry? You'll bump into us in the yard at Rayback Collective, we'll be enjoying nibbles from local food trucks!
- Wear green if you can to help us spot each other.
- This is a free event; pre-registration is available but not required.
- Refreshments will available to purchase at the venue on your own tab.
Cheers to an impactful summer!
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.