Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 128
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Torr Foodtech, an innovative startup that uses ultrasonic energy to develop snack bars, announced that it raised $12 million in its Series A round.
- Bira 91, an Indian craft beer maker startup, announced that it raised $70 million in its latest fundraising round. The round was led by Japanese beer company Kirin Holdings.
- Post Holdings CEO announced in its latest quarterly earnings call that the company is seeking M&A opportunities to expand its portfolio. This signal is a positive sign for foodtech startups that are facing a challenging economic environment.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund is BE8 VENTURES.
- Be8 Venture is a Berlin-based growth stage venture capital fund focusing on food and beverage chain with a strong commitment towards innovation throughout the entire food and beverage value chain (i.e. Innovative Food, E-Grocery, Retail & Gastro Tech, Packaging & Waste).
- Be8 Venture is funded by the Oetker group, the leading food producer in Europe.
- This VC fund invests in growing companies that shape tomorrow's food ecosystem located in Europe, Israel and North America.
- Portfolio companies include:
- New Culture
- Melt & Marble
- Blue Horizon Ventures
- Atlantic Food Labs
- New Culture
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- High Tech Farmer AppHarvest is Rapidly Running Out of Money
- Global Market For 'Nature Tech' Poised To Triple to $6 Billion by 2030
- Prado Raises $5.75 Million In Seed Funding to Improve Fresh Food Accessibility Nationwide
- Ingredion Teams Up With InnovaPro
- DSM and Firmenich Launch Exchange Offer For Pending Merger
- Soft Robotics Inc. Secures $26 Million in First Close of Series C Led By Tyson Ventures. Marel and Johnsonville Also Invest and Join Soft Robotics Powerful Syndicate
- Torr FoodTech raises $12 Million to Form Snack Bars Using Compression And Ultrasonic Waves Instead Of Sugary Binders
- Japan's Kirin Leads $70 Million Funding Round of Indian Craft Beer Maker Bira
- Post is on lookout for M&A deals, CEO says
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally Bay Area
Leadership Networking Forums: CEOs & Founders Forum (In-Person) (Members Only)
In-Person Meeting, Thursday, December 1, 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. PT (Zoom), followed by a Happy Hour hosted by Harmless Harvest
Location: Harmless Harvest Office, 1814 Franklin St., Suite 1000 (10th floor), Oakland, CA 94612
Executive coach, Jonathan Hoyt, will facilitate our interactive session and lead us through the exercise. Stay after the session to network and connect for a happy hour hosted by CEO Ben Mand and the Harmless Harvest team.
Proof of vaccination is required for this event. We will reach out to you to confirm.
You must be a paid member of Naturally Bay Area, and be a Founder or CEO of a Natural Products CPG brand to participate.
- Jonathan Hoyt, Partner, Leadership Consulting at DHR Global
I ❤️ Texas CPG Holiday Happy Hour
Thursday, December 1, 6:00 - 9:00 p.m. CT
Join this Texas-size holiday happy hour bringing together the incredible Texas CPG ecosystem!
There will be an opportunity for members of the community to showcase at this event. Fill out this form to submit your interest, deadline to apply is the 11th of November.
Rising Tide: Advanced Allyship in CPG
Tuesday, December 6, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. (GMT-6)
Learn what resources and programs exist to support founders and professionals of color in the CPG industry and ways to enhance and take your personal and corporate allyship to the next level.
- Kathleen Casanova, Founding Executive Director of Project Potluck
- Cynthia Fletcher Billops, VP - Operations, Membership and Belonging at One Step Closer
- Kymberly Graham, Vice President, Head of Diversity Initiatives at NielsenIQ
- Bella Hughes, Co-Founder of Shaka Tea
- Cindy Li, Director of (included) ACCESS, Founder & Tea-EO at Uproot Teas
Networking Collision Series at The Velvet Elk Lounge
Tuesday, December 6, 12:00 - 1:00 p.m. (MT)
Location: The Velvet Elk Lounge, 13th Street 2037, Boulder, Colorado
The latest installment of Naturally Boulder's Collision Series of Networking Events—a low-key, relaxed series of no-registration-required connection opportunities where you'll run into old friends and connect with new contacts.
Naturally Bay Area
Quick Bites: Supply Chain as a Competitive Advantage - Opportunities in Upcycled Food
Wednesday, December 7, 11:00 - 11:45 a.m. (PT)
Learn about the Upcycled Food movement and how this unique supply chain can be the key to your competitive advantage. We'll cover what upcycling is, different models of sourcing upcycled ingredients, opportunities for food and beverage manufacturers to repurpose existing waste streams, and opportunities for collaboration.
Edward Hoffman with The Varick Group will be moderating this panel.
At DWT, we are proud to have one of the largest Food + Beverage legal practices in the country, with over 40 attorneys representing food innovators, entrepreneurs, and investors at every level of the food chain, from Farm to Label.
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.