Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 129
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Huel, a plant-based meal replacement startup, announced that it raised $24 million in its recent fundraising round, increasing the company's valuation to $560 million.
- Perfect Day, a precision fermentation ingredient maker, announced that it acquired Sterling Biotech, an Indian gelatin manufacturer. Perfect Day acquired the company for over $78 million in a bankruptcy auction.
- Amai Proteins, a sustainable and eco-friendly sweet designer protein, announced that it is finalizing the initial closing of its $100 million funding round. The company plans to use the funds to launch a designer sweet protein next year.
- A recent report found that Indian agritech startups raised $4.6 billion in funding last year, which represents an increase of 119% of funding raised in 2021.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
This week's featured CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund is Minerva Foods.
- Minerva Foods is one of the leaders in the production and sale of fresh beef and its byproducts, live cattle exports and beef processing in South America South America. Besides Brazil, Minerva Foods has productive units in Argentina, Paraguay, Colombia and Uruguay.
- Some of the highly recognized Minerva Foods brands include:
- Estância 92, a Brazilian brand
- Minerva Angus, a Brazilian brand
- Frigomerc, a Paraguayan brand
- Cabaña Las Lilas, an Argentine brand
- Pul, an Uruguaian brand
- Minerva Foods in Brazil rolled out a venture-capital fund called MF92 in August 2020.
- MF92 made its first investment of $4 million in San-Francisco based Clara Foods, a maker of plant-based protein ingredients for food and beverage products.
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Upstart Bottled Water Makers Thirst For Differentiation in $40 Billion Industry
- Foodtech: Q&A with Daan Luining, co-founder and CTO of Meatable
- New DoorDash Layoffs Are Another Sign Tech Companies Don't Truly Understand How We Eat
- Nestlé Scales Back Meal Delivery Presence Through Freshly Deal
- Huel Closes $24 Million Investment Round
- Corteva Agrees to Acquire Stoller, Boosting Biological Investments
- Verdant Robotics Raises $46.5 Million to Reduce Ag Chemicals, Improve Farm Profits
- Perfect Day Expands its Reach With Gelatin Company Purchase
- Amai Proteins Finalizing Initial Closing of $100 Million Round As It Gears Up For Launch Of 'Designer' Sweet Protein in 2023
- Indian Agri-Foodtech Startups Clock $4.6 Billion in Funding in FY22, Overtake China in Funding Inflow: Report
EVENTS & OPPORTUNITIES
Naturally New York
Jingle & Mingle Holiday Mixer
Friday, December 9, 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. ET
Location: Houston Hall, West Houston Street 222, New York
Get ready to 'Jingle & Mingle' with the Naturally New York community on Friday, December 9th from 5:30-8:30 pm!
Naturally Los Angeles
2022 Holiday Mixer
Wednesday, December 14, 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. PT
Location: 5050 York Boulevard, Los Angeles, California
This Holiday Mixer is an informal evening of networking with other founders and executives in the Natural CPG community.
Naturally San Diego
Holiday Happy Hour!
Wednesday, December 14, 5:00 - 7:00 p.m. (PT)
Location: New English Brewing Company, 11545 Sorrento Valley Rd #305, San Diego, CA
This is an indoor/outdoor event. Holiday attire is encouraged!
Your ticket includes:
- Networking with other natural products industry folks
- 2 drink tickets (beer, wine and canned cocktails)
- Soup samples from I Eat My Greens (NSD 2021 Pitch Slam Winner)
- Product Samples
- Yard Games
- Educational opportunities about NSD
Naturally New York
Set Your Sights on the Reimagined Wellness Shopper
Thursday, December 15, 1:00 - 2:00 p.m. (ET)
Learn firsthand how to ride the new wave of wellness with an inside look at NielsenIQ's latest consumer research and market measurements insights. In this webinar you will get:
- The latest in wellness shoppers' priorities and our big-picture predictions
- An overview of total wellness, which includes protective wellness, aspirational wellness and altruistic wellness
- How to leverage key trends and patterns with generational, multicultural and income-based nuances
- Customized, complimentary data that will support your brand growth
The facts, laws, and regulations regarding COVID-19 are developing rapidly. Since the date of publication, there may be new or additional information not referenced in this advisory. Please consult with your legal counsel for guidance.
DWT will continue to provide up-to-date insights and virtual events regarding COVID-19 concerns. Our most recent insights, as well as information about recorded and upcoming virtual events, are available at www.dwt.com/COVID-19.