Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 145
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Ecorobotix, an ag robotics startup that has developed automated precision technology for row crops and pastures, announced that it raised $52 million in its Series B round. The company plans to expand its operations from Europe to the Americas.
- Post Holdings announced that it will unwind its SPAC (Post Holdings Partnering Corporation) that it formed two years ago after it was unable to find an acquisition target. Rob Vitale, Post’s CEO, noted that the company will lose the $10 million that it used to form and operate the SPAC.
- Hershey announced that it has entered into a licensing deal for an undisclosed amount with Ocean Spray to develop a product line of fruit dipped in chocolate.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund
This week's featured food business incubator and accelerator is Coca Cola’s Venturing & Emerging Brands (VEB).
- Founded in 2007, Venturing & Emerging Brands is the corporate venture capital arm of Coca-Cola based in Atlanta, Georgia. The firm seeks to invest in companies operating in the beverage sector, and generate future growth for the company.
- Portfolio companies include:
- Honest Tea
- VEB is always on the lookout for disruptive innovation in the beverage world, particularly for brands that meet future consumer needs.
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Constellation Brands Acquires Minority Stake in TÖST
- Supreme Court Upholds Prop 12 in California
- Low-carb Hero Bread Raises $15 Million and Expands Retail Presence
- Storewise Receives Major Growth Investment from Nexa Equity
- Juggernaut Capital Partners Announces Investment in PLEZi Nutrition
- My Food Job Rocks! Adam Yee teams up with Gainful cofounder Eric Wu to launch ‘Asian comfort food’ brand Sobo Foods
- Switzerland’s Ecorobotix Raises $52 Million to Bring Crop Protection ‘Bots to the Americas
Naturally New York
Retail Roundtable: ButcherBox, Hungryroot, GoPuff
Tuesday, May 23, 3:00 – 4:00 p.m. ET
Naturally New York's 3rd Retail Roundtable will feature an amazing panel of 3 buyers from top some of the top e-commerce platforms and will be moderated by Alison Cayne, Founder of Haven's Kitchen.
Almost every CPG success story has involved taking an omnichannel approach to sales and brand building, and that has never been more relevant than in today's environment. Come hear from 3 of the biggest alternative channels in better-for-you CPG today – Hungryroot, GoPuff and ButcherBox – on how they think about working with brands to create win-win partnerships
They will share insights and best practices on how to successfully partner with them to launch and thrive on their platforms.
- Michael Billings, Executive Team Chief Protein Officer at ButcherBox
- Ali Cayne, Founder, CEO of Haven's Kitchen
- Jacob Parsons, Category Lead at Hungryroot
- Aimee Ross, Senior Category Manager, Merchandising at GoPuff
Naturally San Diego
People + Culture Forum: Flexibility in the Workplace and Supporting Parents
Tuesday, May 23, 4:00 – 5:30 p.m. PT
Join Naturally San Diego for the first People and Culture Forum of 2023!
The discussion will be led by Amanda Miles, Chief of Staff at Bitchin' Sauce and Liz Trowler, Chief of Staff at OLIPOP.
They will be discussing the various ways corporations can support working parents through programs, education and financial assistance. The forum leaders will cover areas, such as: child care assistance, fertility and postpartum support and leadership education programs.
- Amanda Miles, Chief of Staff at Bitchin' Sauce
- Liz Trower, Chief of Staff at Olipop
Naturally New York
The Importance of Investing in Branding
Wednesday, May 24, 11:00 – 12:00 p.m. ET
Join Gigi Lee Chang, Managing Director of BFY Capital, and Jolene Delisle, Founder of The Working Assembly to discuss the importance of investing in branding from the start to enter the market the right way.
- Gigi Lee Chang, Managing Partner at BFY Capital
- Jolene Delisle, Founder of The Working Assembly
Pitch Slam 2023!
Wednesday, May 24, 5:30 – 8:00 p.m. CT
Naturally Austin will host its 4th Annual Pitch Slam, showcasing five early-stage brands in a shark-tank-style pitch competition. This event will provide natural product entrepreneurs with a stage to pitch their up-and-coming companies to a panel of experts and 300 audience members.
Pitch Slam Finalists:
- Better Sour
- Big Country
- Change Water
- Flourish Plant
- Hempress Hygienics