Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 151
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Astor Group, a consumer-based advisory firm and merchant bank, announced that Taguchi & Co. Ltd., a prominent Japanese bakery, has acquired Astor Group’s portfolio company, Brooklyn Brands, a dessert manufacturer that develops and acquires Brooklyn-based bakeries. The transaction represents the first Japanese purchase of a significant US dessert manufacturer.
- BetterBrand, a foodtech company that creates high-protein, low-carb products, announced that it raised $6 million in its Series A round.
- Hyfé, a startup company that processes wastewater into feedstocks for biomanufacturing, announced that it raised a $9 million seed round.
- BranchOut Food, a foodtech company that develops plant-based dehydrated foods, announced that it completed its initial public offering at a price per share of $6.00.
- Guardian Agriculture, an agritech drone startup for farms, announced that it raised $20 million in its Series A round.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund
This week's featured corporate venture and private equity fund is 1st Course Capital.
- 1st Course Capital ("1CC") is an early stage venture capital firm that invests in innovative business models and technologies that change "how we grow, produce, and distribute food."
- The portfolio companies include the following:
- BlueCart – Powering B2B e-commerce solutions for the foodservice industry
- Bobbie - Infant formula produced using clean and transparent ingredients
- Ellement – Personalized prenatal supplements and customized support
- AgriDigital - Commodity trading platform remaking the supply chain for improved traceability and margins for farmers
- Dispatch Goods - Reverse logistics company offering re-usable packaging for restaurant delivery and takeout
- Maev - Building the future of dog care
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Japanese Baker Taguchi Acquires U.S. Desserts Manufacturer Brooklyn Brands
- Alt Protein Enters New Era as USDA Approves Sale of Cultivated Chicken By UPSIDE & GOOD Meat
- BetterBrand Closes $6 Million in Series A Round
- Hyfé Raises $9 Million to Transform Wastewater Into Next Gen Feedstocks For Biomanufacturing
- BranchOut Food Closes IPO, Reports Gross Proceeds of $7.14 Million
- Guardian Agriculture Nets $20 Million in Series A to Expand Precision Crop Protection Drone Technology
- Omeat Emerges From Stealth With Beefy Tech Approach to Cultivated Meat Growth Media
- Celanese, Mitsui Form Food Ingredients Joint Venture
Naturally Los Angeles
Lunch and Learn: How to Win With Data
Wednesday, June 28, 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. PT
It's no secret that data is critical for growing your brand and showing buyers why you deserve shelf space. However, do you know:
- When is the right time to start using data?
- How to effectively talk to retailers using data?
- Which insights are most impactful for incorporating into your sell story?
If you're looking for answers to these questions, join SPINS and Naturally LA for a Lunch & Learn.
- Benji Fitts, Director of Client Insights at SPINS
Networking Collision Series at Oskar Blues
Wednesday, June 28, 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. MT
Location: Oskar Blues, 1555 Hover St., Longmont, Colorado
Thursday, June 29 | 5:00 – 8:00 p.m. CT
2nd Annual Summer Spree
Location: FINNEGANS Brew Co., South 5th Avenue 817, Minneapolis
Join Naturally Minnesota and FINNOVATION Lab to celebrate the arrival of summer and to Re(Discover) connections in the natural products startup community!
SPINS Presents: Using Data to Build a Compelling Brand Story with Buyers
Wednesday, July 12 | 3:00 – 5:30 p.m. CT
Location: Haberman, 43 SE Main St., Suite 300, Minneapolis
It's no secret that data is critical for growing/scaling your brand and showing buyers why you deserve shelf space. However, do you know: • When is the right time to start using data and why should you care about data?
- What do Buyers care about and how to effectively talk to Retailers using data?
- Which insights are most impactful for creating a data powered sell-in story?
- Which insights can take you to the next level in your growth journey?
If you're looking for answers to these questions, join Naturally Minnesota's member brand, So Good So You, and Naturally Network's national sponsor, SPINS, for a 1-hour workshop at Haberman on July 12th from 3-4pm, followed by a networking happy hour.
- Benji Fitts, Director of Client Insights at SPINS
- Eric Hall, Chief Executive Officer at So Good So You
2nd Annual Naturally Chicago Women in CPG Celebration
Monday, July 17 | 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. CT
Location: Time Out Market Chicago, 916 West Fulton Market, Chicago
Join Naturally Chicago for its free, members-only 2nd annual Women in CPG Celebration at TimeOut Market in Chicago's Fulton Market District. Women already make up a significant percentage of owners and CEOs in the Natural Products industry, and their numbers are continually growing. Whether you are one of these entrepreneurs or want to take the opportunity to salute them, you should register to attend.
This event will be followed by Naturally Network's Women in CPG Summit, which will take place online on July 18 and 19.