Food Venture Financing News - Weekly Issue No. 152
In This Issue:
- Food Venture Financing Trends
- CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Funds
- Links to Relevant Content and Events
Food Venture Financing Trends
- Hyfé raised a $9 million seed round led by Synthesis Capital to transform food processing wastewater into feedstocks for biomanufacturing and clean water.
- Vindara, a developer of seeds for vertical farming, was acquired by private equity firm Sandton Capital Partners for an undisclosed sum.
- Joyful Ventures raised a $23 million fund to make pre-seed/seed investments in sustainable protein and food technology.
CPG Corporate Venture and Private Equity Fund
This week's featured corporate venture and private equity fund is 199 Ventures.
- 199 Ventures is a corporate venture group for Hormel Foods, a global-branded food company inspired to make great food and make a difference for their consumers, customers, team members, business partners, and the communities.
- 199 Ventures partners with emerging food companies and entrepreneurs that create innovative products focused on improving the lives of consumers. Areas of focus include the following:
- Alternative Proteins
- Food Technology
- Fueling Foods
- Direct to Consumer New Business Models
- Among others, this venture group has partnered with Green Circle Foodtech Ventures, The Better Meat Co. and the Explore Cuisine.
Links to Relevant Content and Events
- Q2 Startup Roundup: Cultivated Meat and Agtech Make Progress
- Hyfé Raises $9 Million to Transform Wastewater Into Next Gen Feedstocks for Biomanufacturing
- Breeder for Vertical Farmers Gets Acquired For Undisclosed Sum
- Joyful Ventures Raises $23 Million to Invest in Vegan Protein Sector
- Monster Beverage Set to Buy Bang Energy For Up to $362 Million
- Equal Sweetener Owner Whole Earth Receives Buyout Offer of $4 Per Share
SPINS Presents: Using Data to Build a Compelling Brand Story with Buyers
Wednesday, July 12, 3 p.m. – 5:30 p.m. PT
It's no secret that data is critical for growing your brand and showing buyers why you deserve shelf space. However, do you know:
- When is the right time to start using data?
- How to effectively talk to retailers using data?
- Which insights are most impactful for incorporating into your sell story?
If you're looking for answers to these questions, join Naturally Minnesota's member brand, So Good So You, and Naturally Network's national sponsor, SPINS, for a 1-hour workshop at Haberman on July 12th from 3-4pm, followed by a networking happy hour.
- Benji Fitts, Director of Client Insights at SPINS
- Eric Hall, Chief Executive Officer at So Good So You
2nd Annual Naturally Chicago Women in CPG Celebration (Members Only)
Monday, July 17, 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. CT
Location: Time Out Market Chicago, 916 West Fulton Market, Chicago
This event will be followed by Naturally Network's Women in CPG Summit, which will take place online on July 18 and 19.
Monday, July 18 – 19
Women in CPG Summit
Join Naturally Network on July 18 and 19th for our annual Women in CPG Summit, a 2-day event filled with virtual education, conversation, and national networking.
One of our key priorities as an organization is to support and advocate for the success of diverse-owned businesses and we are excited to host this annual, nationwide summit to inspire and connect women and non-binary CPG professionals and their supporters.
Naturally Los Angeles
Women's Confidence and Courage in CPG: Resilience in the Face of Adversity
Tuesday, July 18 | 6:00 – 9:00 p.m. PT
Location: Stubbs Alderton & Markiles, LLP, 3rd Street Promenade 1316, Santa Monica
Women can face many challenges in business; less-established networks, and social constraints that restrict women's participation during their careers. In the natural foods industry, women may face additional challenges such as gender bias and lack of representation in leadership roles. Join Naturally Los Angeles for a panel of women leaders in the Los Angeles area who want to share their stories and experience to help emerging women's brands have the confidence and courage to rise up and become resilient in the face of such adversity!
Women in CPG: Panel + Happy Hour
Wednesday, July 19 | 5:00 – 7:30 p.m. CT
Location: ModernWell, South Wayzata Boulevard 2909, Minneapolis
Join Naturally Minnesota to celebrate the incredible women in our ecosystem at the Women in CPG: Panel and Happy Hour. Hear from our impressive panel featuring Women Leaders, featuring Danyel O'Connor - CEO of Cravings by Chrissy Teigen and more. Afterwards, enjoy a celebratory happy hour featuring wine, snacks, and a fabulous assortment of local, women-owned, natural products!
Naturally San Diego
Sales Forum: How Retail Buyers Make Emerging Brand Decisions
Wednesday, July 19 | 4:30 – 6:30 p.m. PT
Location: Jimbo's Naturally, Carmel Valley, 12841 El Camino Real Suite 100, San Diego, CA 92130
Topics that will be covered (and more):
- How do emerging brands set up acceptable distribution for accounts like Jimbo's?
- What agreements and support are expected between Jimbo's and their new suppliers?
- How can brands best position their assortment and packaging for optimal merchandising?