Stephen Franz advises and represents employers in all aspects of employment law, and helps business executives and HR professionals comply with federal and state labor and employment laws and solve human resources issues. Stephen counsels employers to anticipate, avoid, and mitigate employment disputes, and when litigation is unavoidable, he aggressively and creatively represents his clients' interests in court or private arbitration.
Stephen has represented businesses of all sizes—from sole proprietors to Fortune 500 companies—in the entertainment, energy, technology, hospitality, retail, and manufacturing spaces. His experience includes defending clients in class actions, wage-and-hour single plaintiff matters, and California Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) claims. In addition, he handles employment disputes before federal and state administrative agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB), Department of Fair Employment and Housing (DFEH) and the Division of Labor Standards Enforcement (DLSE).
Wage and hour class actions and PAGA
Defends employers in wage-and-hour class actions and PAGA representative actions alleging unpaid off-the-clock work and overtime, meal and rest break violations, pay stub violations, waiting time penalties, unreimbursed business expenses, unfair competition, and civil penalties under PAGA.
Entertainment industry practice
Advice and counsel
Admitted to Practice
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 2013
- Editor-in-Chief, Pacific Basin Law Journal
- Executive Board, Asian/Pacific Islander Law Students Association
- Tribal Legal Clinic
B.A., History, Wheaton College, 2009
- Dean's List
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Varsity Football
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board Member, Japanese American Bar Association Educational Foundation
- Board of Governors, Japanese American Bar Association
- Associate, Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp LLP, Los Angeles, 2019-2021
- Associate, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Los Angeles, 2018-2019
- Associate, Raines Feldman LLP, Los Angeles, 2017-2018
- Associate, Lathrop Gage LLP, Los Angeles, 2016-2017
- Associate, 2013-2016; Summer Associate, 2012 – The Zappia Law Firm, Los Angeles