Stephen counsels employers to anticipate, avoid, and mitigate employment disputes, and when litigation is unavoidable, he aggressively and creatively represents his clients' interests in court.
Stephen's expertise is in defending clients against wage-and hour-class actions and California Private Attorneys General Act (PAGA) lawsuits. He also has significant experience representing employers in single-plaintiff litigation. In addition, he handles employment disputes before federal and state administrative agencies, including the National Labor Relations Board, California Civil Rights Department, and the California Division of Labor Standards Enforcement.
While Stephen represents employers all industries, he has particular expertise in the entertainment, restaurant, and transportation spaces. Representative clients include Amazon, Disney, Paramount, Sony Pictures Entertainment, and Universal Music Group.
Wage and hour class actions and PAGA
Defends employers in wage-and-hour class actions and PAGA representative actions alleging unpaid off-the-clock work and overtime, meal and rest break violations, pay stub violations, waiting time penalties, unreimbursed business expenses, regular rate of pay violations, unfair competition, and civil penalties under PAGA.
Entertainment industry practice
Advice and counsel
Admitted to Practice
J.D., UCLA School of Law, 2013
- Editor-in-Chief, Pacific Basin Law Journal
- Executive Board, Asian/Pacific Islander Law Students Association
- Tribal Legal Clinic
B.A., History, Wheaton College, 2009
- Dean's List
- Phi Alpha Theta
- Varsity Football
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board Member, Japanese American Bar Association Educational Foundation
- Board of Governors, Japanese American Bar Association
- Associate, Mitchell, Silberberg & Knupp LLP, Los Angeles, 2019-2021
- Associate, Hunton Andrews Kurth LLP, Los Angeles, 2018-2019
- Associate, Raines Feldman LLP, Los Angeles, 2017-2018
- Associate, Lathrop Gage LLP, Los Angeles, 2016-2017
- Associate, 2013-2016; Summer Associate, 2012 – The Zappia Law Firm, Los Angeles