Alan Galloway focuses his practice on telecommunications and technology. He represents both local and national communications clients before state utility commissions, municipal governments, and in litigation. He has extensive experience with the FCC’s universal service program, including the Lifeline Program and the Rural Health Care Program.
In addition to his work in the telecommunications sector, Alan brings a strong background in technology and intellectual property to his practice. He has experience in patent law and litigating software and biotechnology patents.
In litigating software-related disputes, Alan draws on his past experience as a software engineer, including substantial experience in web-based software development and mobile applications. In addition to his experience with software patents, he has experience litigating disputes concerning software development contracts, copyright infringement, and misappropriation of trade secrets.
Emerging technologies & AI
Local regulation of broadband infrastructure
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of California, Berkeley, School of Law, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Certificate in Law & Technology, Berkeley Center for Law and Technology, 2008
- John Stauffer Memorial Merit Scholarship
- Jurisprudence Award (first in class): Constitutional Law, 2007; Contract Theory, 2006; Contracts, 2005
- Senior Annual Review Editor & Submissions Editor, Berkeley Technology Law Journal
Ph.D., Philosophy, Duke University, 2002
B.A., Philosophy, Whittier College, 1994, summa cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Chair-elect, Oregon State Bar Energy, Telecom & Utility Law Section, 2016
- Chair, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel Commercial Practice Group, 2016
- Board Member; Youth, Rights, and Justice, 2015-present
- Co-chair, Multnomah Bar Association Equality & Diversity Committee, 2013-2014
- Publications Liaison, Oregon Association of Defense Counsel, 2011-2013
- Volunteer Legal Counselor, East Bay Workers’ Rights Clinic, 2005-2006
- Davis Wright Tremaine Heart of Justice Award, 2012
- Legal Intern, Electronic Frontier Foundation, San Francisco
- Summer Associate, Day Casebeer Madrid & Batchelder, Cupertino, Calif.
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Jeremy Fogel, U.S. District Court, San Jose, Calif.
- Senior Programmer/Analyst, Openwave Systems, Redwood City, Calif.
- Manager/Software Engineer, Knight Ridder Digital, San Jose, Calif.