Beth Hatef counsels clients on a wide variety of regulatory, distribution, and transactional issues in the alcohol beverage industry. She provides advice on federal and state requirements relating to the production, marketing, distribution and sale of beer, wine, spirits, and other alcohol beverages in connection with clients' day-to-day operations as well as corporate transactions.
Beth frequently advises clients on the legality of corporate structures, proposed investments, and promotional activities under federal and state trade practice laws and regulations, including tied-house restrictions. She regularly evaluates and provides advice to clients in connection with state restrictions on e-commerce and direct-to-consumer deliveries of alcohol beverages. Beth also assists clients in negotiating and entering into distribution relationships, and provides counsel on the impact of state franchise requirements on supplier-distributor contracts and relations.
Beth has extensive experience serving as alcohol regulatory and distribution counsel to clients in connection with corporate transactions involving alcohol beverage companies. Her work in this area includes advising clients on the alcohol regulatory and distribution risks involved in such transactions, negotiating the relevant provisions of transactional documents, and evaluating associated licensing requirements and post-closing distribution strategies.
Alcohol industry investments
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia, 2011
J.D., Duke University School of Law, 2010
- Articles Editor, Alaska Law Review
- Moot Court Board
- Co-Chair, Public Interest Law Foundation Board
B.A., Political Science, Johns Hopkins University, 2007
- Pi Sigma Alpha
- Student Conduct Board
Memberships & Affiliations
- Law Firm Associate Member, National Conference of State Liquor Administrators, 2015-present
- National Association of Women Lawyers, 2016-present
- Listed as "Up and Coming" by Chambers USA in Food & Beverages: Alcohol (Nationwide), 2021-2022; Listed as an "Associate to Watch" in Food & Beverages: Alcohol (Nationwide), 2019-2020
- Listed among independently rated lawyers by Acritas Stars, 2020
- Associate, 2010-2021; Summer Associate, 2009 – McDermott Will & Emery LLP, Washington, D.C.
- Legal Extern, Federal Public Defender's Office, Raleigh, N.C., 2009
- Law Student Intern, U.S. Attorney's Office, Hartford, Conn., 2008