Margie Laketa is a paralegal with more than 30 years of experience assisting lawyers and clients in a variety of complex legal matters including those involving environmental, land use, commercial, asbestos, and appellate litigation. Margie acquired her legal experience in several states, including Washington, Illinois, Indiana, and Montana. She spent five years as a judicial assistant at Washington’s Court of Appeals where she helped finalize hundreds of appellate opinions, including decisions involving the Clean Water Act, the Model Toxics Control Act (MTCA), and the Endangered Species Act.
Margie’s support to industrial, commercial, and individual clients includes assisting attorneys in preparing client responses to Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) §104(e) requests from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA); researching environmental compliance, permitting, and regulatory issues; analyzing and organizing very large document productions; and tracking costs and insurance funding for environmental remediation and construction projects. Margie regularly handles public disclosure requests to state and federal government entities to ensure clients have the most accurate, up-to-date information concerning the cleanup of hazardous substances on their properties.
Margie also has experience assisting attorneys representing corporate clients in trials and arbitrations involving employment and e-commerce matters.
- Extensive knowledge and understanding of legal and legislative processes
- Advanced research skills in legal procedures, regulations, laws, and policies on the federal, state, county, and city levels
- Experience analyzing and processing voluminous document productions in environmental and asbestos litigation matters, and real estate transactions
- Knowledge and experience in assisting with trials and arbitrations
B.A., Interdisciplinary Arts and Sciences, American Studies, Minor in Environmental Studies, University of Washington Tacoma, summa cum laude
- Judicial Assistant, Hon. J. Robin Hunt (ret.) & Hon. Lisa L. Sutton, State of Washington, Court of Appeals, Division II, Tacoma, Wash., 2009-2015
- Freelance paralegal for boutique environmental litigation/land use firm and other various local firms, Gig Harbor, Wash., 2005-2009
- Legal Assistant, Commercial Litigation, Ryan, Swanson & Cleveland, LLC, Seattle, 1988-1992
- Legal Assistant/Paralegal, Asbestos Litigation, Burke & Burke, Ltd., Chicago, 1986-1988
- Legal Assistant/Evidence Clerk, Lake County Prosecutor’s Office, Crown Point, Ind., 1985-1986
- Judicial Assistant, Hon. Mark P. Sullivan, State of Montana, Second Judicial District Court, Butte, Mont., 1980-1985