Sheila Fox Morrison provides trademark and brand protection services with significant industry intelligence in the food and beverage, restaurant, healthcare, entertainment, and technology industries. She understands the opportunities and obstacles facing her clients and the markets in which they operate. She leads a team that provides responsive, cost-effective counsel to support the domestic and foreign trademark maintenance, clearance, registration, strategic brand protection and enforcement, and licensing needs of her clients.
Sheila delivers quick, cogent analysis of traditional trademark and title searches. She provides business-oriented and industry-tailored advice as well as identifies risks and risk mitigation strategies. She explains the strategy, process, and costs associated with domestic and international trademark protection. Sheila develops brand protection plans and guides her clients through the evaluation of their options. She implements effective approaches to achieve desired trademark-protection goals.
Sheila develops and executes brand enforcement plans starting with investigation, analysis, advice, demand letters or responses, and negotiating and drafting settlement agreements. She handles opposition, cancelation, and concurrent use proceedings before the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, and provides substantive subject-matter support for more complex litigation and trademark infringement and unfair competition matters before the U.S. District Court.
Sheila leads a team of paralegals who track, report, and take action to maintain thousands of trademark registrations.
Sheila negotiates and drafts trademark license agreements for licensors and licensees, always driving towards her clients’ business goals while being mindful of the parties’ relative bargaining power.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of San Francisco School of Law, 1998, cum laude
- Editor-in-Chief, Intellectual Property Law Bulletin
B.A., Philosophy, University of California, San Diego, 1993
Memberships & Affiliations
- Board of Directors, 2007-2013; Secretary, 2012-2013; Treasurer/Finance Committee Chair, 2010-2012 – Portland Children’s Museum
- Member, 2004-2008; Chair, 2004-2005 – AeA Technology & Intellectual Property Committee
- Named one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" in Intellectual Property (Oregon) by Chambers USA, 2017-2020
- Named to the "World Trademark 1000," by World Trademark Review, 2013-present
- Selected to "Oregon Rising Stars" in Intellectual Property, Thomson Reuters, 2008, 2010-2011
- Selected by Best Lawyers as Portland's "Lawyer of the Year" in Copyright Law, 2017
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Copyright Law by Best Lawyers, 2013
- Associate, Carr & Ferrell LLP, Palo Alto, Calif.