Alex Porter is a former federal prosecutor with 13 years of experience handling white-collar and litigation matters. Alex represents companies and individuals in government investigations and high-stakes criminal and civil cases. He draws on his experience as a federal prosecutor and first-chair trial lawyer to vigorously defend clients and obtain victories at every stage of litigation.
Alex served as a federal prosecutor for more than eight years, most recently as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Major Frauds Section of the U.S. Attorney's Office in Los Angeles. In that role, Alex prosecuted cases involving kickbacks, bribery, healthcare fraud, securities fraud, insider trading, mail/wire fraud, money laundering, tax fraud, and obstruction of justice. He also served as a Trial Attorney with the Fraud Section of the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ), where he prosecuted healthcare and securities fraud matters.
Given his background handling a wide variety of white-collar cases, Alex works with clients in many industries, including the healthcare, financial services, media, and technology industries. His strategic thinking and sound judgment provide great value to clients facing the challenge of responding to a government investigation or successfully handling a complex litigation matter. As an experienced trial lawyer who has tried cases in both federal and state court and argued before the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, Alex regularly handles litigation matters from inception, through trial, and appeal.
Alex represents many clients in criminal and civil healthcare fraud matters. As a former Health Care Fraud Coordinator for the Central District of California and prosecutor with the DOJ Health Care Fraud Strike Force, Alex uses his experience directing multi-agency fraud investigations to effectively defend against False Claims Act investigations and other government enforcement actions.
Possesses deep knowledge of government investigations involving federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies. Experienced in defending clients in criminal and civil investigations, including parallel investigations involving DOJ and SEC.
Proven first-chair trial lawyer
Extensive trial experience in white-collar cases involving healthcare fraud, violations of the federal Anti-Kickback Statute, insider trading, identity theft, and obstruction of justice.
Healthcare fraud experience
Handled investigations in broad range of healthcare fraud cases involving laboratories, hospitals, home healthcare, hospice, durable medical equipment, skilled nursing facilities, opioid drugs, compounded drugs, and COVID-19 testing.
White-Collar Defense and Government Investigations
Complex Civil Litigation Matters
Federal Prosecutor Experience
Pro Bono Experience
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit
U.S. District Court Central District of California
U.S. District Court Northern District of California
U.S. District Court Southern District of California
U.S. District Court Eastern District of California
J.D., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, 2008
- Order of the Coif
- Senior Content Editor, Southern California Law Review
B.A., Philosophy, University of San Francisco, 2003, summa cum laude
- Valedictorian, College of Arts and Sciences
- Alpha Sigma Nu National Jesuit Honor Society
- NCAA Division I Soccer
Memberships & Affiliations
- Criminal Justice, Health Law, and Litigation Sections, American Bar Association
- American Health Law Association
- Los Angeles Chapter, Federal Bar Association
- California Lawyers Association
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- USC Gould School of Law, Board of Councilors' Clerkship Committee, 2020-present
- Assistant United States Attorney, Major Frauds Section, Criminal Division, U.S. Attorney's Office, Los Angeles, 2016-2021; Health Care Fraud Coordinator, 2017-2021; Hiring Committee Member, 2018-2021; Acting Deputy Chief, 2019-2020
- Trial Attorney, Fraud Section, Criminal Division, U.S. Department of Justice, Los Angeles, 2013-2016
- Litigation Associate, Irell & Manella LLP, Los Angeles, 2009-2013
- Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Stephen V. Wilson, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles, 2008-2009
- Judicial Extern, Hon. Dale S. Fischer, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles, 2007