At the heart of Vidhya Prabhakaran’s practice is his understanding of the regulatory complexities posed by California's shifting energy framework as California attempts to transition to economically viable greener power sources. Vid regularly advocates on behalf of clients throughout the energy sector who envision an efficient and reliable energy marketplace and seek to successfully invest in the reduction of greenhouse gases. Vid has over a decade of experience directing client successes before California regulatory bodies, including the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), the California Energy Commission, the California Air Resources Board, the California Independent System Operator, CalGEM, the Office of Energy Infrastructure Safety, and the California DMV, as well as the California Legislature.
Together with the other members of the DWT energy practice group, Vid assists clients with formulating, presenting, and advocating policy positions on procurement, ratemaking, and safety. He counsels clients through regulatory approvals; utility rate and certificate proceedings; acquisitions and dispositions of regulated assets; energy-related contracts; project finance; energy-related dispute resolution; and energy litigation. He represents Powerex Corporation, OhmConnect Inc., Offshore Wind California, the California Solar & Storage Association, the City of Long Beach, Marin Clean Energy, SFPP L.P. (a subsidiary of Kinder Morgan), the San Manuel Band of Cahuilla Indians, and California real estate developers with energy-related issues. He also represents some of the largest technology companies in the world on energy matters and has counseled various private equity and investment banks on their energy investments.
Vid’s experience before the CPUC, in particular, allows him to effectively represent clients in the regulated transportation, telecommunications, and water sectors as well. For example, Vid represents Uber Technologies Inc., various autonomous vehicle companies, and Comcast Corporation.
Vid discusses how our industry knowledge and enthusiasm for innovation help clients chart their future.
At the Firm, Vid is the incoming chair of the Sustainability Committee and a member of the Share Committee, and has previously served on the Diversity Executive Committee, the Attorney Evaluation Committee, and the Executive Committee.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Georgetown University Law Center, 2006
- President, Student Bar Association
- Clinic: Harrison Institute for Policy Law
- Washington Law Reporters Prize
- Dean's Certificate
- Pro Bono Award
B.A., Political Science, Yale University, 2003
- Student Body President
Memberships & Affiliations
- President-elect, Bar Association of San Francisco
- President-elect, Justice & Diversity Center, Bar Association of San Francisco
- Vice president, Energy Bar Association, Western Chapter
- President, Conference of California Public Utilities Counsel, 2017-2018; Co-Chair and Co-Founder, Young Utility Lawyers Committee, 2010-2012
- Board member, South Asian Bar Association of Northern California, 2007-2009 and 2014-2016; President, 2015-2016
- Board member, South Asian Americans Leading Together, 2011-2015, Treasurer, 2014-2015
- Co-chair, Minority Bar Coalition of Northern California, 2010-2012
- Board member, Kearny Street Workshop, 2008-2010; President, 2010
- Board member, Yale Club of San Francisco, 2008-2010; President, 2009-2010
- Board member, Yale Alumni Nonprofit Alliance, 2015-2017
- Board member, Randall Museum, 2016-2018
- Bay Area Advisory Council member, Tahirih Justice Center, 2019-2022
- Named "Lawyer of the Year" in Energy Regulatory Law (San Francisco), Best Lawyers, 2022
- Named "Best Under 40" by the National Asian Pacific American Bar Association (NAPABA), 2021
- Named as one of "America's Leading Lawyers for Business" by Chambers USA in Energy: State Regulatory & Litigation (California), 2018-2022; Listed as "Up and Coming" in Energy: State Regulation & Litigation (California), 2016-2017
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Energy Law and Utilities Law by Best Lawyers, 2019-present; in Energy Regulatory law, 2020-present
- Received the "Ed Davis Diversity & Mentorship Award," Davis Wright Tremaine, 2019
- Mentorship Award, South Asian Bar Association of Northern California, 2017
- Award of Merit, Bar Association of San Francisco, 2009 and 2012
- Pro Bono Leadership Award, Legal Services for Children, 2014
- Unity Award, Minority Bar Coalition, 2016
- Diversity Award, Barristers Club, 2018
- Selected to "Northern California Rising Stars" in Energy & Natural Resources Law and Communications Law, Thomson Reuters, 2010-2018, 2020
- Associate, Goodin, MacBride, Squeri, Day & Lamprey, San Francisco, 2006-2009
- Summer Associate, Kelley Drye & Warren LLP, Washington, D.C., 2005