Kelsey M. Sheldon
Kelsey Sheldon has been working with employers to find real-life solutions to employment and labor challenges for over 20 years, first as a human resources professional and now as an attorney. She supports employers in all aspects of their labor and employment relationships. Kelsey has significant experience with employers in the healthcare, retail, biotechnology, and media industries.
Kelsey has represented Alaska Airlines, Puget Sound Energy, Whole Foods Market, Nikkei Concerns, Sound Family Medicine, Center for Infectious Disease Research, Institute for Systems Biology, and King County.
Kelsey is a frequent speaker on employment law topics such as discrimination and harassment, wage and hour issues, and employer best practices.
- Labor Dispute Resolution: Lead counsel defending employers in labor arbitrations and administrative hearings before the National Labor Relations Board and Washington’s Public Employment Relations Commission. Counsels employers through contractual grievance procedures.
- Labor Negotiations: Chief spokesperson for employers in collective bargaining.
- Employment Counseling: Guides for-profit and not-for-profit employers of every size through the challenges associated with the employment relationship, including management advice and counsel regarding discipline and discharge, disability accommodation and leave requirements, wage and hour laws, and safety and health issues. Advises on the use and terms of employment agreements and separation agreements, drafts personnel policies and procedures, and works with employers to develop best employment practices. Conducts and advises on internal investigations.
- Dispute Resolution: Represents employers in mediation, arbitration and administrative matters (such as the SOCR, WSHRC and EEOC) involving wrongful termination, harassment, discrimination and grievance arbitrations.
- Management, Employee and Human Resources Training: Frequently conducts training programs for managers, supervisors, and other employees regarding hiring, diversity, performance management, and employees with disabilities.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., Seattle University School of Law, 2004
- Associate Editor, Seattle University Law Review
- Presidential Scholarship Recipient
B.A., Sociology, Minor in Psychology, University of Southern California, 1994, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Executive Committee, Davis Wright Tremaine
- Member, ABA Development of the Law Under the NLRA Committee
- Labor Section Co-chair, Pacific Coast Labor and Employment Law Conference, May 2012
- Human Resources Manager with experience in for-profit and not-for-profit organizations