Adam Sieff represents technology companies, media and entertainment firms, and performing artists in civil antitrust, intellectual property, and copyright litigation, with particular experience in the music and live events industries. He also counsels clients on legislative and public policy issues, litigates challenges to state and local regulation, and represents nonprofit and issue-advocacy organizations in constitutional, voting rights, and civil rights impact litigation, including before the U.S. Supreme Court.
Outside his practice, Adam is a lecturer in law at the University of Southern California, where he teaches courses that cover constitutional law, civil procedure, and federal litigation. He has served as executive vice chair of the American Constitution Society for Law and Policy in Los Angeles, and on the boards of the Jewish Public Affairs Committee of California and the Los Angeles County Young Democrats, among other statewide and community nonprofit and political action organizations. The Los Angeles County Empowerment Congress has named Adam a "40 Under 40: Emerging Civic Leader," and Equality California honored him with its Community Leadership Award.
Prior to joining DWT, Adam served as voting rights and election integrity litigation counsel to the Biden for President campaign, practiced for several years in the San Francisco and Los Angeles offices of an international law firm, and clerked for the Hon. Christina A. Snyder of the U.S. District Court for the Central District of California.
Antitrust and competition litigation
Successfully advanced market definition arguments to secure complete defense victories at pleading stage for live entertainment company in competitor cases alleging tying claims involving NBA and NFL. Defeated motion to dismiss and obtained quick settlement providing world-famous performing artist with full injunctive relief sought from international venue operator and promoter.
Copyright and IP litigation
On behalf of licensees, developed novel arguments to protect lawful competition in market for musical composition performance copyrights. Defeated federal trade secret claims on behalf of renewable energy company, and successfully enforced arbitration agreement. Successfully advanced infringement theories on behalf of enterprise software developer in action against service provider.
Public policy and constitutional litigation
Successfully litigated preemption and dormant commerce clause claims on behalf of national trade association, obtained non-enforcement of enterprise-threatening statute. Secured amendments to hostile legislation in several states, and prepared presentations to regulators that resulted in non-enforcement actions. Secured and protected injunctions against civil rights violations under U.S. and state constitutions.
Antitrust and Competition Litigation
Copyright and IP Litigation
Public Policy and Constitutional Litigation
Admitted to Practice
U.S. Supreme Court, 2018
U.S. Court of Appeals 9th Circuit, 2018
U.S. District Court Northern District of California, 2016
U.S. District Court Central District of California, 2017
J.D., Stanford Law School, 2014, with distinction
- John Hart Ely Prize
- Editor, Stanford Law & Policy Review
- President, Stanford Law Democrats
A.B., Columbia University, 2011, summa cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Charles A. Beard Prize
- Edwin M. Robbins Prize
Memberships & Affiliations
- Lecturer in Law, USC Gould School of Law, 2017-present
- Member of the Board, Jewish Public Affairs Committee of California, 2018-present
- Member of the Board, Silver Lake Forward, 2017-present
- Steering Committee, LA Jewish Federation New Leaders Project, 2017-present
- Executive Vice Chair for Los Angeles, American Constitution Society for Law & Public Policy, 2017-2019
- Member of the Board & Policy Chair, Los Angeles County Young Democrats, 2016-2019
- Legal Policy Counsel, Newsom for Governor, 2018
- Advisory Board Member, Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights, S.F. Bay Area, 2014-2016
- Community Leadership Award, Equality California, 2019
- 40 Under 40 Emerging Civic Leader, Los Angeles Empowerment Congress, 2018
- Voting Rights Counsel, Biden for President, 2020
- Judicial Law Clerk, Hon. Christina A. Snyder, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, Los Angeles, 2019-2020
- Associate, Latham & Watkins LLP, Los Angeles, San Francisco, 2014-2019