Nancy brings strategic and innovative approaches to defense of class actions, regulatory enforcement actions, and high-stakes litigation and arbitration. She has long been recognized as a top financial services and class action litigator who regularly defeats claims efficiently, either at the pleading stage or at class certification.
A formidable advocate for her clients, Nancy has deep knowledge of federal and state laws and regulations impacting banks and nonbank financial services providers, including UDAAP and privacy laws. An active member the California Bankers Association Legal Affairs Committee, Nancy learns of California statutes during the legislative process and assists her clients in anticipating the impact of those laws on their businesses.
Nancy translates this expertise into winning defenses in class action litigation, arbitrations, and enforcement actions brought by state and federal regulators, including the CFPB, the DOJ, and the California DFPI.
Nancy also has extensive experience defending cutting-edge privacy and commercial class action claims, including UDAAP and claims allowing for statutory damages. In addition, she has handled several mass arbitration matters.
An award-winning writer, editor, and thought leader, Nancy stays current with the ever-changing legal landscape in financial and commercial matters. She was awarded the 2023 Robert Frandzel Award for superior and impactful contributions by an outside counsel to the California banking industry. She also is recognized as a top financial litigator by Legal 500, and both a top litigator in California and among the top 250 women in litigation by Benchmark Litigation.
Nancy exemplifies DWT's commitment to community impact by maintaining an active pro bono practice and serving on the Board of Directors of Teach Democracy, a nonpartisan nonprofit that promotes civic education for students nationwide.
Class action litigator
Regulatory enforcement action defense
Arbitration and mass arbitration defense
Admitted to Practice
New York, 1993
J.D., University of Chicago Law School, 1992, with honors
- Order of the Coif
- Associate Articles Editor, University of Chicago Law Review
B.A., Princeton University, 1988, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- President, Los Angeles Chapter, Association of Business Trial Lawyers, 2016-2017
- Board Member, Teach Democracy
- California Bankers Association Legal Affairs Committee
- Robert Frandzel Award, California Bankers Association, 2023
- Recognized as a "Litigation Star," Benchmark Litigation
- Listed among the "Top 250 Women in Litigation – California," Benchmark Litigation
- Recommended for Financial Services Litigation by Legal 500
- Partner, Morrison & Foerster LLP, Los Angeles, 2007-2023
- Associate, Morrison & Foerster LLP, New York and Los Angeles, 1993-2006
- Law Clerk, Hon. Stephen V. Wilson, U.S. District Court, Central District of California, 1992-1993