Since moving to Los Angeles from Washington, D.C. in 2016, Jim Tomlinson’s practice has focused heavily on the helping telecom clients navigate the complex world of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), with a particular focus on communications infrastructure issues. He has 34 years of experience in the telecom industry and 23 years of experience as a communications lawyer. Before practicing law, he was a systems engineer, corporate account manager, and network planner with a large telecom company. This experience gives him an in-depth understanding of broadband networks and the business issues his clients face.
Jim is part of a highly experienced team of California telecom lawyers who work cooperatively and collegially with other CPUC practitioners and in-house counsel. He has represented cable and broadband providers, wireless carriers, VoIP providers, and CLECs.
Jim is a frequent speaker at industry conferences. Jim presented annually on the legal panel at the Western Energy Institute's Joint Use Conference in 2016-2019, and at the 2019 National Wildland Fire Conference.
CPUC regulatory advocacy
Regulatory safety compliance
Pole attachment rate analysis and agreements
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
J.D., George Mason University School of Law, 1996, with distinction
M.B.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1990
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1986, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Conference of California Public Utility Counsel
- California Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors and Chair, Tennis Committee, Tuckahoe Recreation Club, McLean, Va., 2010-2014
- Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, 2007-2014
- Associate, Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP, 2002-2006
- Assistant General Counsel, Primus Telecommunications Group, Inc., 2000-2001
- Associate, Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP, 1996-1999
- Corporate Account Manager, Verizon Communications (Large Business Marketing Department), 1993-1994
- Systems Engineer, Verizon Communications (Large Business Marketing Department), 1989-1992, 1995
- Engineer, Network Planner, Verizon Communications (Network Operations Department), 1986-1988