Since moving to Los Angeles from Washington, D.C. in 2016, Jim Tomlinson’s practice has focused heavily on the helping communications clients expand and safely operate broadband networks. Jim helps clients navigate the challenging world of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), with a particular focus on communications infrastructure issues. He has almost 40 years of experience in the communications industry and over two decades of experience as a communications lawyer. Before practicing law, he was a systems engineer, corporate account manager, and network planner with a large telecom company. This experience gives him an in-depth understanding of the technical and operational nuances of broadband networks, as well as the business issues his clients face.
Jim is part of DWT's highly experienced team of California communications lawyers who work cooperatively and collegially with other CPUC practitioners and in-house counsel. He represents cable and broadband providers, wireless carriers, VoIP providers, and CLECs.
Jim is a frequent speaker at industry conferences. having presented annually on the legal panel at the Western Energy Institute's Joint Use Conference from 2016-2019, and at the 2019 National Wildland Fire Conference.
CPUC regulatory advocacy
Regulatory safety compliance
Advises clients on compliance with safety standards for overhead and underground facilities (CPUC General Orders 95 and 128). Advises communications clients on operational issues such as, wildfire risk mitigation, backup power, undergrounding, and Public Safety Power Shutoffs.
Admitted to Practice
District of Columbia
J.D., George Mason University School of Law, 1996, with distinction
M.B.A., Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1990
B.S., Electrical Engineering, Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University, 1986, cum laude
Memberships & Affiliations
- Conference of California Public Utility Counsel
- Federal Communications Bar Association
- California Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Member, Board of Directors and Chair, Tennis Committee, Tuckahoe Recreation Club, McLean, Va., 2010-2014
- Associate, Davis Wright Tremaine LLP, 2007-2014
- Associate, Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP, 2002-2006
- Assistant General Counsel, Primus Telecommunications Group, Inc., 2000-2001
- Associate, Cole, Raywid & Braverman, LLP, 1996-1999
- Corporate Account Manager, Verizon Communications (Large Business Marketing Department), 1993-1994
- Systems Engineer, Verizon Communications (Large Business Marketing Department), 1989-1992, 1995
- Engineer, Network Planner, Verizon Communications (Network Operations Department), 1986-1988