This seminar discussed current developments in health care regulation and compliance for hospitals.
This year's topics included:
Managing New Risks in Hospital - Physician Transactions
Presented by: Dennis Diaz
- Hidden risks and reducing exposure under Stark; voluntary disclosures under the SRDP and the Kane vs. Healthfirst, Inc., case
- Physicians think they have no compliance exposure: do they?
- Dealing with physician-owned distributorships (PODs)
- The changing landscape of fair market value
- Case studies and practical tips limiting fraud and abuse exposure
Peer Review, EMTALA and Ebola
Presented by: Terri Keville
- Fraud and abuse and compliance issues arising from peer review – or lack of it
- EMTALA compliance issues involving physicians and inappropriate transfers or discharges
- Regulatory issues arising from recent Ebola cases, including EMTALA issues
Bracing for Increased HIPAA Enforcement; Privacy and Security Update
Presented by: Anna Watterson
- HIPAA enforcement trends: OCR and state AG settlements
- What to expect, and how to prepare, for HIPAA audits
- HIPAA breaches: top trends for covered entity and business associate breaches
- New challenges for HIPAA compliance
Carrots and Sticks: Regulatory Requirements and Influencing Patient and Provider Behavior -- Reconciling Regulations with Reality
Presented by: Robert Homchick
- Influencing Beneficiary Behavior
- Overview of anti-kickback and civil money penalty (CMP) law on beneficiary inducements
- ACO waivers, proposed CMP regulations and behavioral economics
- Influencing Providers
- Overview of Stark, anti-kickback and civil money penalty law on gainsharing and quality payments
- ACO waivers and new developments
Reimbursement Update: Old Friends and New Foes
Presented by: Kathleen Drummy and Adam Romney
- Audit program update and expansion: RAC (Medicare and Medicaid), ZPIC, and beyond
- The OIG work plan and Medicare PPS
- Integration of mental health coverage into payment plans and coverage
- The "60 Day Payment Rule" in the context of reimbursement and coordination of benefits
Hospital Sales and Acquisitions: What A Compliance Officer Needs to Know
Presented by: Jason Farber, Sarah Fallows and David Lawson
- How compliance issues can impact or derail a merger and acquisition (M&A) deal
- Role of the compliance officer in a healthcare M&A deal
- What should a compliance officer be looking for? Issues and new resources
- Due diligence tips regarding important compliance issues - tax exemption and IRC 501(r), Stark, voluntary disclosures
Preparing and Responding to an "Unscheduled" Government Meeting
Presented by: Jeffrey Coopersmith
- What should you do if agents arrive with a search warrant?
- What should you do if agents arrive with a subpoena?
- What should you do if agents arrive and ask to speak with one or more employees?
- What investigation should you do after the search warrant or subpoena arrives?
- What should alert you that a subpoena or search warrant may be coming?
Rolling Out EHR at the Hospital: EHR Donation and Meaningful Use
Presented by: Jane Eckels
- Meaningful use attestation and audit
- Security risk assessments - when your EHR is their EHR
- Demonstrating use of Certified EHR Technology
- Best practices for preparation
Hospital Litigation Update
Presented by: Brad Fisher
- Litigation under the Affordable Care Act - another year and new challenges
- Trends in reimbursement and payment litigation
- New challenges to patient arbitration provisions
This year also featured a special panel discussion among California Hospital Compliance Officers.