Upcoming California PUC Reporting Deadlines
By Suzanne K. Toller, James W. Tomlinson, Zeb Zankel, and David Huang
This is a reminder that in the coming months, telephone corporations under the jurisdiction of the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) must submit certain annual reports to the CPUC Communications Division (CD). Reporting requirements for each company will vary, depending on each company’s operating authority granted by the CPUC.
We recommend that companies seeking assistance with their compliance efforts contact an attorney experienced with the CPUC’s reporting requirement, and to do so at least two weeks prior to the reporting deadline.
Key CPUC reporting requirements and their deadlines are as follows:
- Annual Tariff Filing or Annual Letter Certifying De-Tariffed Status (due February 13, 2020): Tariffed carriers must file annual tariffs to reflect tariffs in effect as of January 2020. De-tariffed carriers must submit a letter stating their de-tariffed status.
- Annual Performance Bond Filing (due March 31, 2020): All CPCN, WIR, and NDIEC holders must post via Tier 1 advice letter a continuous performance bond to facilitate the collection of fines, fees, surcharges, taxes, penalties, and restitution.
- Operational and Financial Information Report (due March 31, 2020): CPCN and NDIEC holders must submit certain company information, including financial information.
- Subscription and Deployment Data Reporting (due April 1, 2020): All communications providers certificated and/or registered with the CPUC that also file Forms 477 with the FCC must submit annually to the CPUC’s Communications Division by April 1 voice and broadband subscriber and deployment data at a census block level as of the prior calendar year.
- DIVCA Annual Report (due April 1, 2020): Video franchisees must submit an annual report containing a variety of information, including subscription and deployment data.
- Affiliate Transaction Report (due May 1, 2020): CPCN, WIR, and NDIEC holders must identify affiliate entities and explain the organizational relationships between the entities.