Jonathan Michaels concentrates his practice on business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic alliances. He helps corporate executives and legal departments advance their business objectives by navigating them through complex strategic transactions. Jonathan strives to bring thoughtful, practical, and creative solutions to his clients.
Jonathan has represented Microsoft, Starbucks, Expedia, The Seattle Times Company, and Providence St. Joseph Health. He has specific experience in technology, healthcare, and digital health. Jonathan is ranked by Chambers USA and other leading legal publications. Chambers has recognized Jonathan for his "strong reputation for business transactions, such as M&A and joint ventures," and noted that "he has worked with a number of high-profile clients."
Jonathan also advises boards of directors on governance and other matters, and acts as principal outside counsel to companies.
Admitted to Practice
J.D., University of Washington School of Law, 1992
- Associate editor-in-chief, Washington Law Review
B.A., Washington State University, 1986, summa cum laude
Goethe Institute, Berlin
University of Copenhagen
Memberships & Affiliations
- Past or Present Board Member for various organizations, including Seafair and MIT Enterprise Forum of the Northwest
- Co-chair, Business Transactions Department, Davis Wright Tremaine, 2011-2015
- Corporate Act Revision Committee, Washington State Bar Association, 2010-2015
- Liason, Nonprofit Corporation Act Committee, Washington State Bar Association, 2012-2014
- Named as one of "America’s Leading Business Lawyers" in Corporate/Commercial (Washington) by Chambers USA, 2019-2020
- Selected to "Washington Super Lawyers," in Mergers & Acquisitions, Thomson Reuters
- Named one of the "Best Lawyers in America" in Mergers & Acquisitions by Best Lawyers, 2020-present
- Named to "The Legal 500 U.S. Edition," for Mergers, Acquisitions and Buyouts